Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Fix smudge/rub mark on leather seat bolster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Fix smudge/rub mark on leather seat bolster?

So I got in my car today and I think the button on my jean pocket put a rub mark/smudge on my leather seat bolster. I tried using some leather cleaner/protector but it would not fix it. I'm I screwed? Or is there a way to minimize this damage?

Thanks
Michael
Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Is it just a metal smudge, ie a transfer of the metal from the button or is the leather actually damaged?
If it is a transfer, you can moisten a Magic Eraser with leather Cleaner and gently rub the spot. Magic Erasers are pretty harsh, but they do work.
I use them all the time in my detail shop and they work like a charm. If you rub really hard there is a slim possibility of removing the coating on the seat.

You always want to make the Eraser is always moist before you begin to rub back and forth
2nd time I got to use that line

If the leather is actually damaged, then you can take it to an upholstery shop and they can repair it. I have seen some where they can fix it without removing the panel, others they remove and replace the panel.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:40 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Sounds like you scuffed the coating and if its true then repair is needed.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM
canuck9
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Sounds like you scuffed the coating and if its true then repair is needed.
Yes...I tried the baking soda cure and that didn't work...I definitely scuffed the coating...makes me sick. How do I go about repairing it? I know I can bring it to someone but what do they do to fix it? Just replace it? Or can it be salvaged?

Thanks
Michael
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck9
Yes...I tried the baking soda cure and that didn't work...I definitely scuffed the coating...makes me sick. How do I go about repairing it? I know I can bring it to someone but what do they do to fix it? Just replace it? Or can it be salvaged?

Thanks
Michael
I've seen several different type of repairs. Some use a dye to match coloring. Others remove the piece and replace it. If you were thinking about custom seat covers, now is the time.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck9
So I got in my car today and I think the button on my jean pocket put a rub mark/smudge on my leather seat bolster. I tried using some leather cleaner/protector but it would not fix it. I'm I screwed? Or is there a way to minimize this damage?

Thanks
Michael
I have the same problem and just learned to live with it.

Dying the seat cover could make things worse.

First have to define type of leather before doing any alterations.

My leather guy did not want to mess with it. Seat cover probably is the best way to go.

Last edited by Boomer111; 02-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Take it to a good automotive upholstery shop. They can more than likely fix it so that you'll never know it was there.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by JVM225
Take it to a good automotive upholstery shop. They can more than likely fix it so that you'll never know it was there.
This. done it many times for my customers.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Be careful as the bolsters are not leather...they are vinyl.

Once you get through that first coat of the vinyl, you are done! You can't repair it like leather. You have to live with it or replace the bolster.

Dye will not soak into the vinyl so it will look good until you sit in the car. Then the dye wipes right off since it cannot attach itself to vinyl. Vinyl has no pores for the liquid to sink into to create adhesion.

Besides, these mobile repair shops don't "dye" anything. All they do is spray paint on the vinyl and call it dye. What a waste of money!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I had what I thought was a smudge on my bolster. It turned out to be the begining of "wear out" and rip. Sure enough it began to tear. I got a good price from Gene cully for a new piece but I decided to try a repair myself. I went to pep Boys and got a Vinyl repair kit from "permatex". Did the repair yesterday and it came out pretty good.

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Fix smudge/rub mark on leather seat bolster?

Quick Reply: Fix smudge/rub mark on leather seat bolster?