Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Discolored my dash, need suggestions

Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 PM
Entovetter
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Discolored my dash, need suggestions

I originally posted this in the C5 General forum, but thought I'd get good answers here:

While preparing to install vinyl lettering on the passenger side airbag of my C5, I cleaned the area with alcohol on a cotton swab. I cleaned outside the letter depressions, and a little alcohol even started to run down. Much to my dismay, I found that the alcohol discolored the black vinyl surface -- not much, but it's easily noticeable. Take a look....you can see it right around the letters.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to re-coloring the area? I typically wipe down my dash with Aerospace 303. It helps somewhat, but does not correct the discoloration.

Would black interior paint be the remedy? ...Or something really simple, like black shoe polish?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 AM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Entovetter
I originally posted this in the C5 General forum, but thought I'd get good answers here:

While preparing to install vinyl lettering on the passenger side airbag of my C5, I cleaned the area with alcohol on a cotton swab. I cleaned outside the letter depressions, and a little alcohol even started to run down. Much to my dismay, I found that the alcohol discolored the black vinyl surface -- not much, but it's easily noticeable. Take a look....you can see it right around the letters.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to re-coloring the area? I typically wipe down my dash with Aerospace 303. It helps somewhat, but does not correct the discoloration.

Would black interior paint be the remedy? ...Or something really simple, like black shoe polish?
Not sure how to correct that but I'll make a suggestion to you for the future. If you're going to stick letters or emblems in the interior such as letters or an emblem on the steering wheel, use a heavy concentration of dawn and water vs alcohol.

I am sure some others will offer their advise based on their experience. Unfortunately, I do not know. Good luck..
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Rich98
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully the alcohol just stripped any finish that was there and dried it out some and not faded it.

I use it 50/50 after polishing to remove the oils and clean the paint.

I would keep rubbing in the 303 and see after a few applications it starts to come back.

Other good vinyl dressings that might help are Meguiars Ultimate Protectant.

And maybe try Mothers Back to Black, it's for exteriors, but may help here.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

It does look like it removed all the previous dressing. I would wipe the entire area down with a damp towel and a little APC. After wiping once or twice you can then redress with the protectant of your choice. It the marks are still noted, likely you would need a dye type product and best left to a professional.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Check out the above product! I have used it on the trim and black vinyl all over my cars including Hummer H3, C6 Corvette and Expedition. It lasts forever!

Haven't used it on the interior but it is incredible on the exterior trim and vinyl.

Do some Google searches on it. You Tube it as well. People love it!

Last edited by pewter99; 02-26-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: removed Non supporting vendor link
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Refinishing Vinyl

Vinyl is impregnated with plasticizers; they generally remain supple for quite a long time. When the plasticizers eventually migrate into the atmosphere, there is nothing that can be done to re-soften these materials. Surface blemishes such as rips or tears and holes can be repaired and they can be refinished.

For best results when recoloring vinyl, use the same colour as on the original finish, as colour changing can be problematic.

Color Plus Super Cleaner to clean the vinyl surface before applying colourant. Surflex Flexible Surface Colorant used to restore the colour of interior vinyl, Surflex is a flexible surface colorant, it’s water -based polymer pigmentation.

Does not crack, chip or become brittle with age, restores the natural appearance and does not look "painted". Will not fill in or cover up the natural vinyl grain pattern, remains permanently flexible. Wash and rinse thoroughly per label instructions. Let the surface dry thoroughly before proceeding with the colouring.

Lacquer thinner or any strong solvent used to clean vinyl have a tendency to dissolve the surface, leaving it sticky and unworkable. After the vinyl surface is clean and dry, sand lightly with either very fine sandpaper or steel wool. Remove all residues from the surface with a tack cloth or similar product.

Since vinyl is nonporous, it is imperative that no residue is left on the surface when you apply colourant.
Begin in an inconspicuous area such as a seat back or bottom and apply a thin coat of colourant, concentrating on thin even applications.

To avoid leaving brush marks, do not re-stroke partially dried areas. As soon as the first coat is dry to the touch, a second coat can be applied. If necessary, touch up with a third coat. Use varied brush strokes (half-circles, cross-hatches, etc.) to eliminate any brush-mark patterns.

When spraying, use about 25 PSI air pressure, a narrow fan tip, and apply a full wet first coat; avoid runs or puddles. If necessary, when dry apply subsequent coat(s) for good colour coverage clean equipment with warm, soapy water

Surflex Flexible Surface Colorant is water-based and dries for use within 24 hours, curing completely in about 6 weeks, after which time the finished surface can be cleaned with soap and water or cleaning preparations intended for vinyl (Iz einszett 'Plastik-Reiniger' )
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Entovetter
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thanks everybody

Thanks for your concerns and suggestions. I'm coming up with several different ways to fix the problem, starting with the most simple and progressing to more complex and costly, depending on what works. It will be several weeks until I get a chance to work on it, and I may end up mail-ordering some things for the fix. At any rate, when it's fixed to my satisfaction I'll post a pic or two and describe what I did.

In the meantime, I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone has one. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not familiar with the c5, but is it possible to just replace the air bag? Seems that would be easier to me.

Get notified of new replies

To Discolored my dash, need suggestions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Discolored my dash, need suggestions