Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

New Formula ONR vs Dirty Black Paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default New Formula ONR vs Dirty Black Paint

Have you evaluated the way you wash your car lately? If not, you probably should. Water restrictions are on the rise and people are becoming more conscious of the environment. In the last several years we've seen innovations in the surface care industry that have allowed us to wash our vehicles in ways we never thought possible.

A couple years ago Dr. David Ghodoussi, owner and founder of Optimum Polymer Technologies, introduced a product called No Rinse Wash & Shine, better known as "ONR." ONR has changed the way we wash our cars and and as a result, it has enabled us to lower our water consumption considerably. While various car care manufacturers have since introduced their own rinse-free car wash products, ONR is recognized as the product that originally defined the category.

When the news leaked that Dr. David Ghodoussi would be introducing a new formula of the much-loved ONR, it was questioned how the current formula could even be improved upon. How do you take what many consider the best, and make it better? At first it was assumed that he would be adding wax to the formula, as that's the current trend with rinse-free car wash products. However, that wasn't the case with the new formula ONR. Dr. David Ghodoussi did was he does best, and that's taking an excellent product and making it easier to use while increasing the gloss that it provides.

What better way to put a new rinse-free car wash product to the test than filthy black paint?

The new formula ONR is still vibrant blue in color with the same addicting scent. It mixes once ounce per two gallons of water just like before.

To successfully perform a rinse-free car wash, you will need a second bucked filled with clean rinse water and a Grit Guard insert.

After mixing up the solution I let my wash media of choice, several Cobra Gold Plush Jr. microfiber towels, soak in the solution for several minutes. While they were soaking up the super slippery polymers, I sprayed the area I would first be cleaning with a solution of ONR mixed into a spray bottle.

Having the surface wet before you start a rinse-free car wash ensures you don't scratch or mar the finish upon first contact with your wash media. This is a critical step for vehicles that are heavily soiled. Before you start washing a panel, simply spray a liberal amount of ONR properly diluted (1 or 2 ounces per quart of water)

After the towels soaked in the wash solution for several minutes and the panel to be washed was pre-treated, I got started. It was evident right away that the new formula ONR provides more lubricity than the previous version. Lubricity is a very important attribute of a rinse-free car wash product as it lessens the likelihood that scratches will be induced into the finish.

I prefer to use a plush microfiber towel when performing a rinse-free car wash. A plush microfiber towel folded into a manageable size isn't cumbersome to hold and gives you eight sides to work with. Choose your wash media wisely as it is critical to performing a safe rinse-free car wash.

Here you can clearly see where I've cleaned.

When performing a rinse-free car wash you clean one panel at a time and then rinse your wash media of choice. This is where the second bucket with a Grit Guard insert comes into play.

When speaking to Dr. G on the phone prior to releasing the new formula ONR, he put a lot of emphasis on how the new formula was easier to dry and didn't streak as much when compared to the previous version. This is noticeable right away as the new formula requires less drying time and leaves the surface feeling less "wet."

When performing a rinse-free car wash, you dry each panel after you wash it. I've found the "blotting" method to be the most effective means of drying when performing a rinse-free car wash. Fold your drying towel of choice into a manageable size and simply blot the area that you're drying.

After safely washing the entire vehicle, I stood back to admire the glossy, wet-looking black paint. The previous version of ONR was no slouch in the gloss department, but the new formula provides even more gloss and leaves the paint feeling slicker.

Is the new formula ONR better than the previous version? Absolutely. Is it better than the other rinse-free car wash products available? With so many excellent rinse-free car wash products to choose from that each feature their own unique characteristics, you will have to determine which one you like most by trying them all. But I can tell you that ONR, sometimes referred to as Original Rinseless Wash, will continue to be the benchmark for which other rinse-free car wash products are compared to.

Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
Old 03-10-2012, 05:47 AM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wash my vehicles in the winter using ONR exactly as you've described above with one exception: I don't dry off the car panel by panel but simply wait till I've completed the entire car. Once the wash is done, I will use my leaf blower in the garage to blow 80% of the water off. I will then spray some Z6 or Z8 and then using a waffle weave towel dry the remaining car panel by panel.

I find wiping it a panel at a time a PIA and it appears to me as if it takes much longer.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
duegatti
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you could, please clarify a couple of things for me. You're using a rinse bucket for your microfiber, but you have several microfibers in the ONR solution. In principle, you would just use a single microfiber to wash the whole car, if the rinsing process was perfect.

Is it the case that you use a particular microfiber and rinse it a few times, consider it contaminated, and move onto a new one from the ONR solutions?

When you rinse, I assume you wring out well - correct?

How many wash microfibers per car do you use?

Many thanks,

Joe
Old 03-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by duegatti
If you could, please clarify a couple of things for me. You're using a rinse bucket for your microfiber, but you have several microfibers in the ONR solution. In principle, you would just use a single microfiber to wash the whole car, if the rinsing process was perfect.

Is it the case that you use a particular microfiber and rinse it a few times, consider it contaminated, and move onto a new one from the ONR solutions?

When you rinse, I assume you wring out well - correct?

How many wash microfibers per car do you use?

Many thanks,

Joe

Generally you will use several microfiber towels when performing a rinseless wash. The idea is to work clean, clean, clean!

After cleaning each panel, you rinse the towel in the rinse bucket and agitate it against the grit guard insert inside the bucket. After rinsing out the towel, you wring it out and put it back into the bucket with the wash solution.

Generally I will use 3-4 microfiber towels per car. You can get away with two, but again the idea is to work CLEAN.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

What did you dilute the ONR to for the spray bottle? and do you recommend using Distilled Water when diluting it or tap water?

Last edited by LS9Drew; 03-31-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
What did you dilute the ONR to for the spray bottle? and do you recommend using Distilled Water when diluting it or tap water?
the manufacturer gives you recommendations on their site and bottle for mixing for many different purposes (QD, Clay Lube, Waterless, Rinseless) and applications. It does contain a water softner so you can use simple tap water too.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just tried out the new ONR and Guzzler HD Towel they kicked butt! Glad I bought it

Get notified of new replies

To New Formula ONR vs Dirty Black Paint

Quick Reply: New Formula ONR vs Dirty Black Paint