Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Has anyone tried Armor All Exteme shield wax?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 04:18 PM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Has anyone tried Armor All Exteme shield wax?

Their demo video looks cool, but I'm skeptical of it just being puffery. I spring for a bottle of it so well see. I was never a fan of the TW Ice...it left streaks and didn't spread easily like a traditional wax. It was great on plastic parts though as it didn't leave a white residue.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to know how long it lasts, and if its a dust magnet ...

inquiring minds want to know ...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is their promotional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSxfc8HgTqk

I tested this product out on my galaxy black 2008 Nissan Titan. First I just tried it out on the hood.

On the drivers half of the hood, I applied the Armor All Extreme Shield Wax. On the passengers side of the hood, I applied Mothers California Gold Caranauba Cleaner Wax.

It was no comparison. When hosed with water, the Armor All beaded leaps and bounds better than the Mothers. This stuff is like Rain X for paint when it comes to repelling water.

Next, I did the muddy water test. Yes, call my crazy, I filled a bucket full of muddy water and poured it right onto the hood. The muddy water sheeted right off on the Armor All side, but stuck to the Mother's wax side.

As far as repelling dust goes, I'll have to get back with everyone in a few days. Supposedly, youre supposed to be able to just hose your car off and it'll take the dust right off without even touching your car.

The good:

This wax is pretty easy to apply. It's like no liquid wax I've ever seen. Its almost like Elmers glue out of the bottle. It goes on like a liquid wax, spreads easily, and comes with a spoungy applicator just like the Turtle Wax Ice does. You simply remove it with a microfiber cloth. The Armor All doesn't even have to haze. You don't even have to apply it in a circular motion per the instructions. Just wipe on and wipe off immediately as you go. It spreads much better than the Turtle Wax Ice and just as easily as a typical liquid wax such as MacQuires. I always had issues with the Turle Wax Ice leaving streaks behind. The Armor All is much, much better at coming off than the Turtle Wax Ice. Like the Turtle Wax Ice, it leaves no white residue on plastic parts.

The bad:

I couldn't tell one way or the other if it produced a deeper shine.

When washed with soap, its beading/sheeting of water properties diminished a bit. It still worked better than the regular wax after a wash, but the profound difference was gone. This makes me think it may/may not last.

Like I said earlier, I'll get back with the forum on my experience on how it repels dust/dirt.

I'm impressed so far. Time will tell. I thought Armor All products were usually junk, but this is by far the best product they've made that I've had experience with.

Last edited by CStewTAMU; 05-01-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

thanks for the info
Old 06-27-2012, 04:57 PM
vetsvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
Like I said earlier, I'll get back with the forum on my experience on how it repels dust/dirt.

I'm impressed so far. Time will tell. I thought Armor All products were usually junk, but this is by far the best product they've made that I've had experience with.
I just picked up some for my Suburban. Haven't tried it yet, but was wondering how it's holding up. Thanks for the review.
Just found a $10 rebate online.

http://armorall.com/pdf/AA-ESW-Rebate.pdf
vv

Last edited by vetsvette; 06-27-2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: crappy speeling
Old 08-25-2012, 08:30 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did my Tahoe (always the guinee pig) with it yesterday. It really works well on the black plastics, door handles and factory running boards...makes them look new again. The Tahoe paint is the original dark green metallic and it looks quite good after application.

They don't say anything on the box or bottle about the product's cleaning capability, so I doubt its use is intended to "bring back a shine" to a lackluster finish.

If it's anything like their wheel protectant, you probably don't want to wash the vehicle - or rub against it. I like the wheel protectant but learned the hard way that it will wash off with a soapy rag.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM
vetsvette
Pro

I agree. I used it on my Suburban just before a trip to Florida in the first week of July. It looks good and seems to have held up well so far. Still beading up in the rain and easy to clean, and it gets treated a lot rougher than the Vette. I'm gonna put another coat on next month and see how it fares over the winter. Until then, I'll stick with Zaino for the Vette.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:55 PM
DP Dave
Melting Slicks

Used it on my wife's Cadillac SRX and so far I'm impressed. Car looks like it came out of the box, deep wet look shine!

By the way - the only thing I have used on my C6 (purchased new) is Zaino however if the Armor All Extreme performs well I may give it a chance.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
I did my Tahoe (always the guinee pig) with it yesterday. It really works well on the black plastics, door handles and factory running boards...makes them look new again. The Tahoe paint is the original dark green metallic and it looks quite good after application.

They don't say anything on the box or bottle about the product's cleaning capability, so I doubt its use is intended to "bring back a shine" to a lackluster finish

If it's anything like their wheel protectant, you probably don't want to wash the vehicle - or rub against it. I like the wheel protectant but learned the hard way that it will wash off with a soapy rag.
this stuff is like Back To Black, although we shall see about long term.

I usually try new stuff out on my daily driver, A RAV4 that sits out, rarely gets washed, over a salty cold Minnesota winter. If this stuff survives the winter, it will get my thumbs up.

I just might have to post a picture, for a vehicle with 155,000 miles on it, lookin' pretty good.

I got mine free, but I may have to use that $5 off coupon if this is still holding up 3 months from now, the coupon is good till the end of the year

Last edited by cadguymark; 09-25-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Richard@Adams
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Same for me

Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag
thanks for the info
I agree.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

here is what it looks like on a vehicle with 155K on, many of them hauling a canoe in Northern MN & Ontario, and truckin' around Utah so yeah, there is a ding and a missing hub cap
this stuff is super easy and quick to use, I may have to use it on my Vette, I ran out of Zaino and will not be buying again

Last edited by cadguymark; 09-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

OMFG! This stuff is easy to use and looks great. I used one of those terry cloth applicators from Zaino to put a thin coat on, then buffed it out with a microfiber. Apply sparingly like Zaino. Here it is on a black car, my Vette wannabee.

my vette reflected in hood

Old 09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Wow, looks like it does a fine job. Silver is super hard to bring a shine out of, so I am very impressed by the finish on that Rav4.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:50 AM
npatel123
1st Gear

Before buying a car wax, be aware that premium car wax brands don't necessarily hold up any better than lower-priced alternatives. This product used to preserve the car paint quality. Car wax can help give a car a great shine. There is a proper technique you should follow when waxing your car.

Last edited by johnodrake; 09-27-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Non Supporting Vendor link
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Originally Posted by redvette77
Wow, looks like it does a fine job. Silver is super hard to bring a shine out of, so I am very impressed by the finish on that Rav4.
what you don't see in the pictures is the ability to fill small scratches and swirls. The paint on the Fiero is 22+ years old, 3 years ago I put Menzerna Nano to it, otherwise hasn't been touched before or since.

I know some people will blow a cork about filling, but is grinding the clear down to the level of the scratch really a better cure? It certainly isn't time and money wise, took me 1/2 hour instead of a half day (or more)

Bought a 16.9 oz. jug of the stuff at Walmart yesterday, $16, so it will be $6 with rebate. Takes 2 oz. to do a car so it comes out to 2 bucks each time applied. As long as this stuff lasts a month I'll be happy, any longer is a bonus.

I suppose it could only last until the next week, in which case I retract everything. We'll see.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 AM
bflat
Cruising

Default Amorall Extreme

I found a bottle on clearance sale ($10) and used it on my white '93
The result was not spectacular. Water beading was very good. A couple days after applying the wax I power rinsed the car and drove on the highway to get the water off and the water blew off almost completely - so much easier than toweling. I don't know how long this effect will last.
The shine seems OK but not spectacular in my view. Swirls don't seem that diminished.
Finally, the paint is not as slick to the touch as it is after using NuFinish 2000 (my regular brand) - something I really like about NuFinish. I plan on stripping off the Amorall Extreme and going back to NuFinish mainly for this reason. I think NuFinish gives a superior gloss too ... but I haven't done the right/left hood test.
Amorall shines decals and glossy black materials (door handles). NuFinish is brutal on black rubber/plastic and leaves nasty white residue on these materials so I usually mask these materials with painter's tape - a real chore.
The Amorall was very easy to use. I washed the car and applied the Amorall with the included sponge applicator and then wiped with microfiber cloths (as per instructions). Took less than a couple hours.
Applying NuFinish is a chore. I also use an orbital buffer/applicator and it takes me all day to wash/polish/mask rubber/apply/buff.
I understand that the Amorall is a wax (polymer?) and NuFinish is more of a paint sealant... (I may be wrong about this) ... so there may be a bit of apples and oranges comparison here.
Perhaps I'll post an update after the switch.

Last edited by bflat; 05-06-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: edit
Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Holy necropost batman! But I will add to this topic...I got some out of the bargain bin at O'reilly's for $2...yes, $2. I used it to seal the bed of my old Ford f-150. Other than that I purchased it for the cap for another squeeze bottle dispenser i want to use for polish.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone tried Armor All Exteme shield wax?

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried Armor All Exteme shield wax?