Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Bird dropping stained new car bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Bird dropping stained new car bra

Hi... i just had VentureShield installed on my entire hood and other places as well on a new 2012 C6. Last weekend I very gently polished the entire car including the bra and that took long enough that I didn't get to the intended wax job I also wanted to do last weekend... So Tuesday, while the car was outside on a hot day, a bird dropped right on the hood... I noted it within an hour or so and cleaned it off but it left behind a stain on the bra. I've tried a few mild things but nothing has fazed the stain so far... Any ideas of how perhaps to remove such a bird dropping stain from a new clear bra??? Or is it permanent???

thanks...
Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Safe Removal of Bird Excrement

To safely remove bird excrement without causing scratches to the paint protection film (PPF) surface; use a solution of Optimum no-rinse (ONR) diluted 1:20 / distilled water in a fine mist spray bottle) and allow to remain in place as this will soften debris and allow it to be removed. Use very little surface pressure, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, this will lessen surface scratching as they ‘lift’ dust etc into the media

Use a long nap micro fibre towel to ensure the debris that is lifted from the PPF surface remains in the nap and not on the towel surface thereby causing surface marring. Shake the towel occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it.

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue, birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching as it is very abrasive and will scratch the PPF surface.
Once it softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the films surface. Do not use on a hot surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking?

Stains – to remove stains from PPF surface use a safe solvent (P21S Total Auto Wash, a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner or Isopropyl alcohol (IPA), it may take a few attempts to fully remove. Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the PPF surface
Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TOGWT that is some good information EXCEPT you have to be VERY careful when using Isopropyl Alcohol on VentureShield. If you apply IA to this film make sure you do not scrub the film with a rag... don’t even wipe the film. IA will dull VentureShield. The only safe method for using IA is to apply it to a rag and blot the stain with it. For bug stains I tell my clients to apply it to a rag, hold the IA onto the film allowing it to soak in, and then remove the rag without rubbing. It will evaporate out pulling any bug juices with it. Then it is safe to wipe it off. IA can easily be used on most films but you can’t put a blanket statement out there covering all the different films. It’s always best to ask your installer first, then if there is no help there to ask other people with the same material.

Diito it is VERY important that you get a good sealant on the film before leaving it outside. It will prevent stains and make cleaning bugs and bird droppings off much easier. I recommend an acrylic sealant to my clients... and usually give out a bottle with every install (if I am not out). Here is the link to it. Get a bottle and use it as often as you wax your car. It is the best product I have found for paint protection film and also works well on windows and the wheels.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../lpsealant.php
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi... I cleaned the surface bird dropping debris off the car without incident within an hour or so of it getting hit... That went fine with no apparent scratching or anything... But the main dropping left the stain as shown (hopefully) in the attached picture... I've already tried dabbing the area with Isopropyl Alcohol and it doesn't seem to do any harm nor do any good... But admittedly I am not sure of the application techniques other than the fact that I put it on gently and get it off quickly by dabbing... See this picture of the stain itself and see if you have any other thoughts... The stain is maybe the size of a quarter... thanks...
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

And while you guys are endeavoring to help me, let me toss out the two other issues I've encountered with this two week old clear bra... See two more attached pictures... The one that looks like a straight line was very hard to get a reasonable picture of... What it really is (but you can't see it in the picture) is a central width and thick line (thats' all that the camera could catch) and two other lessor lines on either side of it... The surface feels perfectly smooth. I cannot detect anything that feels like a scratch but I'm guessing (and just that) that perhaps it is a stretch mark. It is located on top of the driver's side fender about half way between the hood and the very peak of the fender (Grand Sport fender). And it runs in a direction that pretty much parallels the fender/hood line. The other one has me intrigued and I call it the "rice seed". This is the third of these I've encountered and the installer was able to remove the other two with his heat gun. I have an email out to him now on these new issues but we haven't yet gotten in touch... I'm just more curious than anything as to what would make such a perfect shape (the other two looked identical to this one (size, curved ends, etc). In length I would say it's maybe a quarter of an inch long max, maybe a little less... The installer said the other two were "on the surface" so this one I'm sure must be as well... But since I've gotten three of these in barely two weeks of having the bra on the car, I'm sure there will be more and at some point I might need to learn how to use a heat gun cause I'm not keen on driving 70 miles round trip every time whatever this is shows up on the bra... Thoughts??? See two attached pics, one of the "triple line" that shows on the photo as only a single line and the "rice seed"... The center line, by the way of the triple line is about 2 inches in length and is also thicker (wider) that what the photo shows... I would guess the center line of the triple line is maybe 1 mm in width while the other two lines on either side of it are finer (narrower).. The photo just doesn't show it very well... thanks...
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To Bird dropping stained new car bra

Quick Reply: Bird dropping stained new car bra