Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Car Care Discussion
Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette Sponsored by
Auto Geek

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
ralphsmithiii
CF Senior Member

Default Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra

Hey guys,

I've been searching quite a bit about the process, if any, there is for removing swirl marks from a clear bra. I've read such a contrast in answers I'm not really sure what to make of it. Some people say treat the bra the same way you treat paint and use a DA and light polish with little heat to remove the marks. Some people say use Plastx or Plexus to remove the swirls. Others say, you can't remove the Swirls. And lastly, the typical, "Ask the manufacturer".

The first issue I have is that I bought the car with the clear bra on it so I have no idea is ifs 3M or "X" company. I never noticed any swirls until I recently washed the car and used RainX bug removal to take some nasty bugs I had on the front bumper from a long trip. The mitt I was using must of been too abrasive and caused the swirling, I'm assuming since I dry the car with a leaf blower.

That being said, does anyone have any experience with removing or even hiding the swirl marks on a clear bra?
ralphsmithiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Grzldvt1
CF Senior Member

Yes, but you have to be incredible careful. In my shop - Deep Reflections Auto Detailers we use Zaino-ZPC(Paint Cleaner) to remove scratches and swirls from a clear bra.
We use a Lake Country Orange Pad on a PC 7424XP at a setting of 4.
Grzldvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Texas_Venom
CF Senior Member

Without knowing wich film it is its difficult to give you the right advice as all films react differently. What works for one film may damage another film. I will say that we have always recomended not using an orbital as it is way to easy to burn the film. I would try it by hand first and go little by little. I have seen some pretty bad scuffs buffed out of Ventureshield by hand with a really fine polishing compound.
Texas_Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
Street Rat
CF Senior Member

I don't know what brand of film that I have on my wife's C6. I have used the Megs 205 with my random orbital with excellent results. I tried some correction by hand first and was not satisfied with the result. Guess I got lucky.
Street Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
RaskyR1
CF Senior Member

I've find searching for care/correction information on PPF to be a lot like leather care! There is tons of conflicting information out there and it's annoying!

Over time the film will accumulate marring just like paint and we need a way to correct it. Most 3M installers say to use IPA to remove marring but IME that is ineffective and I find it funny that the film comes marred up right from the installers. If IPA works so well than why are they delivering a new wrap to the client all marred up?

I've been polishing PPF since the mid 90's and I've only run across a few that have given me trouble. Is polishing bad for the film? I have no idea. I do know that the films have always left my shop looking better than when they came in and without polishing them they were never going to look as good as I made them. Until one of the manufactures steps up and shows us an approved method for correction of film I'm going to continue doing what works for me.

I tend to reach for Menzerna polishes...FPII is what I like to start with.

Here is a 50/50 on 3M film
Click the image to open in full size.

The new Ultimate "self healing film" by Xpel looked to be very promising when I was at SEMA and the installers I know are loving it as well.

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp

Rasky
RaskyR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page Removing Swirl marks from Clear Bra

Tags
bra, clear, hide, marks, remove, scratch, scratches, swirl, swirls