Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing
Print Wikipost

How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

One of the most overlooked aspects of car care and detailing is our engine bay. Why? Because when you polish paint, there is no fear of damaging a $283 sensor or having water go into your intake, causing potential engine failure. Take a second and think back to the first time you started researching paint correction and the proper steps necessary to ensure success. At first, the thought of touching your precious paint with a power tool made you cringe, until you learned that, like anything else, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things. Fast forward to present time and try to imagine going without your Flex XC3401 or Porter Cable 7424xp and picture all the swirls, water spots and scratches that you previously ignored until you discovered a machine polisher. Now if that doesn't make you cringe, nothing will.

Step outside for a minute, pop the hood on your engine bay and take a look at what you see. Unless you're one of the few that details their engine bay on a regular basis, what you're going to see is dirt, grease, and more dirt. At this point you're probably asking yourself; "How have I neglected to clean my engine all this time?!" And the answer is simple; you didn't know how. With this guide and a little help from one my favorite product lines - Detailer's Pro Series - you'll be on the fast track to an engine bay that's as clean as your BBS wheels that you meticulously detail after every wash.

Overview

This is what your typical engine looks like on a daily driver. There is literally years upon years of built up dirt and grease.

*Warning: These pictures are not for the faint of heart.*

Looks pretty nasty, right? Let's dig a little deeper and zoom in.

What to be aware of

Modern engines are complicated machines that are monitored by various computers all ran through a complex electrical system. While most of these components can safely get wet, you want to err on the side of caution and cover them up when detailing an engine.

Components to cover up on a modern car:
  • Alternator
  • Intercooler
  • Coil Packs
  • Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
  • On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Port
  • Air Intake Systems (Exposed)
  • HID Ballasts (Headlights)
  • Alarm Housing
  • Electircal Plugs

Now if you look at the above list and go "HUH?!" Don't worry! You don't have to be an ASE certified mechanic to safely detail an engine. You can pretty much narrow that list down to three key things:
  • Alternator
  • Air Intake Systems (Exposed)
  • Electrical Plugs

To make it simple, an alternator is the heart of your vehicle's electrical system. On most vehicles this is a very expensive component to replace. The alternator is generally easy to locate and regardless of the vehicle, they all look the same.

*Photo courtesy of HowStuffWorks "Auto"*

The air intake, as the name implies, is how the engine breathes. Air goes through a filter and is fed into the engine. Most new vehicles have an air intake system that's not exposed. If your vehicle has an aftermarket air intake system, it will be exposed. If your air intake is exposed, simply cover it up with a grocery bag. You do not want water going into your air intake when you detail your engine.

And the last thing to look out for are electrical plugs. A modern engine is filled with dozens of electrical plugs that run various sensors. Below are two very dirty examples of what an electrical plug looks like.

Covering up the important stuff

An effective means of covering electrical plugs is with saran wrap and masking tape where needed. This will ensure no unwanted components will get wet when you detail an engine.

It's better to spend a couple extra minutes doing it the right way. It doesn't have to look pretty for photographic reasons.

To cover major electrical components when detailing an engine, aluminum foil works best. Aluminum foil is easy to work with and although it doesn't create a watertight seal, it still protects components from getting wet. When you're cleaning an engine, you'll be using a gentle stream of water, not a full blast. The components aren't getting dunked in pool so they don't have to have a watertight seal.

Alternator covered with aluminum foil. Remember, when detailing an engine, you don't want the alternator to get wet.

To play it safe, you should also wrap the dipstick with masking tape or saran wrap when detailing an engine.

Getting started

First and foremost: Never detail a hot engine. Once the necessary components are covered up, it's time to get started! Start by spraying a low-pressure stream of water all over the engine. You do not want to spray a high-pressure stream of water when detailing an engine. The goal with the initial rinse is to remove loose dirt and grease.

The Good Stuff - Doing it right the first time

If you've read any of my previous how-to articles, then you already know I'm an advocate of working smart, and not hard. When it comes time to cleaning anything with dirt, grease or grime, I like to use a product that's strong enough to clean effectively, but I also don't want to use a product that has a harsh chemical smell. The obvious cleaner of choice for this how-to article was Detailer's Engine Degreaser.

Detailer's Engine Degreaser doesn't overwhelm your senses with a harsh chemical smell, but at the same time it has the power to cut through grease and grime without a struggle. Its formula is VOC compliant and biodegradable. What sets Detailer's Engine Degreaser apart from other degreasers is the fact that its formula doesn't contain any butyl ethers or acidic detergents, which means its safe on rubber, plastic, clear coated and painted surfaces.

Simply spray Detailer's Engine Degreaser on every dirty surface in the engine bay, let it dwell for a couple minutes, and then start cleaning!

The brush of choice for the majority of the cleaning was the Mothers Wheel Brush. Don't let the name of this brush fool you because it can clean anything. It features bristles that are tightly packed together and a soft, ergonomic rubber handle. For around $7, you simply can't beat it.

To clean the nooks and crannies, I once again relied on Mothers. The Mothers Detail Brush features feathered nylon bristles attached to a soft, ergonomic rubber handle. As an added bonus, the brush features a rubber tip which works great for removing dried on wax out of seams. This brush is a must-have for engine detailing.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Some areas of your engine bay will require a miracle brush, and like every other aspect of car care and detailing, Autogeek has you covered. The miracle brush for engine detailing is the Daytona Speed Master Jr. With its soft, 2 inch bristles and flexible stem, the Daytona Speed Master Jr. has the ability to clean parts of an engine that no other brush could.

Part of engine detailing, or any aspect of automotive detailing in general, is the details. No small detail should be overlooked in a detail. To ensure every square inch of this engine was squeaky clean, I used Lake Country's Detail Sticks. If you find yourself looking at your engine bay, scratching your head while wondering how the heck you're going to get it spotless, pick up a set of Lake Country Detailing Sticks and wonder no more.

Once you're finished with the cleaning process, spray a low-pressure stream of water in the engine compartment. Another aspect of Detailer's Engine Degreaser that makes it so good is the fact that it rinses freely. When detailing an engine, you don't want any cleaner or residue left behind.

Drying

After a thorough rinse, you can either dry the engine with a towel, which is time consuming, or you can use what I refer to as "my little friend." That little friend is the Metro Blaster Sidekick and don't let its size fool you, this little thing packs quite a punch. The Blaster Sidekick, like other vacuums and blowers manufactured by Metro, features a quality, all-steel construction. The motor inside the Blaster Sidekick has a peak HP of 1.3 which is enough to blast out an air volume of 160mph/85CFM. Best part about the Blaster Sidekick? It's made in USA!

Dressing the engine bay

Once the engine is clean and dry, it's time to beautify and protect all the plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces. My product of choice for dressing up an engine bay is Detailer's Trim Detailer. This is one of the newest products in the Detailer's line of car care products and it's fantastic. This aerosol-based polymer spray evenly coats all plastic, rubber and vinyl surfaces leaving a low-gloss, like-new finish. If a little over spray occurs on bare metal or painted components, it won't cause any harm. Detailer's Trim Detailer dries to the touch and it will not attract dirt or dust like oil-based dressings.

To ensure even application on components that have ribs, simply spray Detailer's Trim Detailer on a clean, dry microfiber towel and work it in to the desired surface. Remember that no small detail should be overlooked when detailing an engine.

The finished product

Check out the before and after!

And again.

Now that you have the knowledge to detail your engine like a professional, all you need is the products and a sunny Sunday afternoon. From here on out, there should no longer be any dirty engine bays on AutogeekOnline.net. :dblthumb2:

Featured products
Old 05-21-2012, 02:43 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

great write up with a TON of pics

thanks again !
Old 05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Most excellent........

A lot of great tips in that.........
Old 05-22-2012, 12:34 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

That is one the useful most write ups on how to detail an engine. The only thing that worries me on trying that on my C4, is the Optispark.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Want to practice on my truck? Practice makes perfect, you know!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

This is an awesome thread. I have been meaning the do this very thing lately.

I do have one question though. My vehicle that needs the most work is my '77 Corvette coupe. The engine is pretty darn grimy. Is the Detailer's Engine Degreaser powerful enough to take care of that kind of dirt?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

BIG difference. Thanks for the DIY
Old 05-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by redvette77
This is an awesome thread. I have been meaning the do this very thing lately.

I do have one question though. My vehicle that needs the most work is my '77 Corvette coupe. The engine is pretty darn grimy. Is the Detailer's Engine Degreaser powerful enough to take care of that kind of dirt?
You will not find a stronger engine degreaser that's still safe on gentle surfaces, such as paint and plastic.

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
BIG difference. Thanks for the DIY
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
You will not find a stronger engine degreaser that's still safe on gentle surfaces, such as paint and plastic.

Detailer's Engine Degreaser will arrive on my doorstep sometime tomorrow

A major deciding factor for me was the "safe on paint surfaces" part. Everyone I have talked to has always suggested Mean Green. And, although it may do the job, I would be far too scared of screwing up my fresh paint job with it. Soon as I get the Vette back from the shop (carburetor rebuild and fluids change), I will be doing some serious work. Got to get ready for show season!

Last edited by BluegrassMotorsport; 05-24-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Since I had plenty of Detailer's Engine Degreaser and Detailer's Trim Detailer left over, Jason went ahead and detailed the engine in his Toyota Tundra last Saturday.

Before

During

Rinsing

Dressing

After

Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
sb70ss
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, great results!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 599 Likes on 220 Posts

fantastic job. thats how an engine bay should look. clean
Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

This stuff works great! I forgot to take a before shot, so I apologize that I do not have "proof". But the other photos in the thread should do the product justice. But I can tell you that the engine in my '77 Vette looks so much better than it did. It still needs some scrubbing and repainting here and there. But the Detailer's Engine Degreaser is serious stuff. Anyone who needs to clean their engine would be silly not to try it!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
That is one the useful most write ups on how to detail an engine. The only thing that worries me on trying that on my C4, is the Optispark.
I would suggest covering the Opti-spark for best results and no damage. I recently saw several companies now offer an Opti-spark replacement that is sealed and would be my first choice when replacement is needed. I had two go bad on my T/A.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by redvette77
This stuff works great! I forgot to take a before shot, so I apologize that I do not have "proof". But the other photos in the thread should do the product justice. But I can tell you that the engine in my '77 Vette looks so much better than it did. It still needs some scrubbing and repainting here and there. But the Detailer's Engine Degreaser is serious stuff. Anyone who needs to clean their engine would be silly not to try it!
Don't be shy about posting an after shot!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:10 PM
cfl70
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 19 Posts

wow thats insane.great job

Get notified of new replies

To How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Nice work.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
RunTheRace
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Detailing

OK. Now where can I find detailed instructions on covering up those sensitive parts (electronic, fuel, etc.) before cleaning/washing? I have a 1995 C4...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I would VERY HIGHLY recommend disconnecting the battery ground before putting AL foil near any electrical component.

Great post but with all due respect you were remis to not recommend disconnecting the ground first.

Quick Reply: How To: Detail Your Engine Like a Professional