Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Hard water spots! ugh....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Hard water spots! ugh....

Well I left my car at my uncles over night... Car got nailed by hard water from sprinklers. I didn't think anything of it and now 3 days later... I washed the car and they will not come out. I washed it, tried the 50/50 water/vinegar deal... That didn't work... I'm so pissed! Anyone have some suggestions???

Last edited by c6speedjon; 06-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:48 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing ‘Water spots’

Always start by using the least abrasive product first

1. Use a paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner or Duragloss 501)
2. Try to dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;

a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.

3. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner
4. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
5. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish, Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the paint surface
6. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
Well I left my car at my uncles over night... Car got nailed by hard water from sprinklers. I didn't think anything of it and now 3 days later... I washed the car and they will not come out. I washed it, tried the 50/50 water/vinegar deal... That didn't work... I'm so pissed! Anyone have some suggestions???
Morning c6speedjon! i am not sure how far you are from any of the 3D stores, but you should pick up a bottle of this Water spot remover.

The product is made for situations like your. Easy to use and it removes water spots with ease.

http://www.3dproducts.com/Eraser-Wat...tml?a_aid=8013

Here is the store locator page. If you have any other questions, just ask.

http://www.3dproducts.com/blog/locations/

eraser by thomasdekany, on Flickr

Last edited by David-Fermani; 06-28-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom@3dproducts
Morning c6speedjon! i am not sure how far you are from any of the 3D stores, but you should pick up a bottle of this Water spot remover.

The product is made for situations like your. Easy to use and it removes water spots with ease.

http://www.3dproducts.com/Eraser-Wat...tml?a_aid=8013

Here is the store locator page. If you have any other questions, just ask.

http://www.3dproducts.com/blog/locations/

eraser by thomasdekany, on Flickr
Ok thanks... I think I'll try this... Anyone had success using this? I'm very close to your Montclair location (about 15 min away) I'll probably buy this and try it in on my car in your parking lot! SO IT BETTER WORK! Haha! Jk! Really hoping this will work... I do not want to have to take a buffer to my car... Because I do not have one and really don't feel like spending a ton of money to have a detail shop remove this. This product will remove HARD water stains correct? Remember these have been sitting baking in the Cali sun for 3 days...

Last edited by c6speedjon; 06-28-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

MEGS 205 and a porter cable with orange pad too mine right out.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:05 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Ok thanks... I think I'll try this... Anyone had success using this? I'm very close to your Montclair location (about 15 min away) I'll probably buy this and try it in on my car in your parking lot! SO IT BETTER WORK! Haha! Jk! Really hoping this will work... I do not want to have to take a buffer to my car... Because I do not have one and really don't feel like spending a ton of money to have a detail shop remove this. This product will remove HARD water stains correct? Remember these have been sitting baking in the Cali sun for 3 days...
Yes it will work. We have removed spots on vehicles a lot older than that. In LA.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

K I think I may head up there on my lunch to see...
Old 06-28-2012, 01:54 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

K I think I may head up there on my lunch to see...
Keep me posted and follow directions
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

"Spread a small amount on cool glass or paint of the car. Rub in with a towel and rinse off. For extreme conditions repeat process using a Scrub Sponge. Although “3D Eraser Gel” is a mild based acidic product, do not leave it on any surface for more than 1 MINUTE. Longer periods might etch glass. To neutralize, use 3D’s Pink Car Soap. USE GLOVES and PROTECTIVE EYEWARE."
Does this mean I HAVE to buy your soap too? Will the car wash soap I have work as well? Maybe even hitting it with quick detailed after rinsing it?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

"Spread a small amount on cool glass or paint of the car. Rub in with a towel and rinse off. For extreme conditions repeat process using a Scrub Sponge. Although “3D Eraser Gel” is a mild based acidic product, do not leave it on any surface for more than 1 MINUTE. Longer periods might etch glass. To neutralize, use 3D’s Pink Car Soap. USE GLOVES and PROTECTIVE EYEWARE."
Does this mean I HAVE to buy your soap too? Will the car wash soap I have work as well? Maybe even hitting it with quick detailed after rinsing it?
Your soap will work or even a QD.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Most waterspots need to be removed quickly with cleaners like those from Duragloss and Chemical Guys. If you dont remove them quickly they can etch the surface and require polishing and/or wet-sanding to remove. Some also suggest using white vinegar on recent spots and then rewashing

Try to keep a good wax or sealant on your paint, wash as often as possible, and remove anything like waterspots, egg, birdie doo-doo off as soon as possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most waterspots need to be removed quickly with cleaners like those from Duragloss and Chemical Guys. If you dont remove them quickly they can etch the surface and require polishing and/or wet-sanding to remove. Some also suggest using white vinegar on recent spots and then rewashing

Try to keep a good wax or sealant on your paint, wash as often as possible, and remove anything like waterspots, egg, birdie doo-doo off as soon as possible.
I understand that... But it's something that has already happened I can't go back in time. I've tried the vinegar, no dice
Old 06-29-2012, 12:30 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

I understand that... But it's something that has already happened I can't go back in time. I've tried the vinegar, no dice
Don't worry, the product you bought (if you bought it) is a very high quality product, designed by a very clever chemist. Not a relabeled third party made product.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

sorry to hear that ....I would suggest moving to a light polish or paint cleansing lotion next. Its amazing how quickly a waterspot and some sun can really get into your paint.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:47 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Did you use the eraser? Did it work?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
1BADLS3
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used this on my boat when it was parked next to sprinklers and covered in water spots that would not wash off. It worked great!

Get notified of new replies

To Hard water spots! ugh....

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Update...
I rewashed the car tonight and waxed it with mothers carnuba wax and it seems to be mostly gone... Gonna rewash it again this week and put another coat of wax on it and see how it looks... Gotta love how the car looks and feels after a fresh coat of wax!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Update...
I rewashed the car tonight and waxed it with mothers carnuba wax and it seems to be mostly gone... Gonna rewash it again this week and put another coat of wax on it and see how it looks... Gotta love how the car looks and feels after a fresh coat of wax!
most waxes sold at retail have at least a light cleaner or polishing agent in them, likely it helped. If you find a stubborn area try and dedicated polish or paint cleanser and you should be good to go. Glad to hear it all worked out well.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:45 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Ya I had bought some rubbing compound but just stuck with the mothers carnauba. Obviously I want to go with the least aggressive way possible

Quick Reply: Hard water spots! ugh....