Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Powder06C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover :)

When I washed my car for the first time it took forever to get all the bugs off. I remember saying Well its settled I am never driving at night again. Bought some turtle wax bug and tar remover in a green bottle with a yellow car on the front and it works awesome even the "harder" spots only took a few swipes to completely remove. Just thought I'd pass it along. happy detailing.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Bellebuddy1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would strongly suggest to reapply a good sealant or polish after using the bug remover. I have used it over the years and it always cut the wax off but did a nice job on removing the bugs. Jim
Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Often times a good AIO product can do something similar with spots. You can even find dedicated spot removers from Duragloss and Griots that work extremely well. As offered above, when using a dedicated cleaner or spot remover the best bet is to reapply your wax or sealant of choice afterwards as it was likely removed.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Powder06C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I hadnt thought about it taking the wax off. I was just glad to have the bugs gone. First trip to the beach planned for friday. Lots of prep work to do to the red dragon before I leave.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I keep a small travel size spray bottle and MF in the rear hatch when traveling. I use a product called BugSquash from Poorboys. It removes the luvbugs immediately

. http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html
Old 08-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing you can do in an effort to preserve your wax/sealant/pocket book is:

>wash the affected front of your car as you normally would
>lay a large wet towel over your bumper and keep it soaked with water
>re-wash
>gone

By wetting the bugs you soften their grip on the surface. A light blast of a pressure washer will quickly remove them if you have access to one too.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe I have found the best bug remover, just get some of the bug remover that is intended for your window washer, you know, the super dooper kind. Wet a towel with it and the bugs disappear and no wax is removed. I have used this for the past two years, a bonus is that it is cheap too, less than 2 bucks for a gallon jug

Get notified of new replies

To Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover :)

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover :)