Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

After Clay, then what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default After Clay, then what?

After clay & prior to re-waxing/sealing, do I have to wash my car with car-wash soap? Is it OK to just clean using detail spray again?
Doing nothing could leave clay residue, yes?
Trying to keep the process "inside" the garage.......and get rid of a little murkiness in the finish that shows up in certain lighting situations.
I don't want to take down the whole finish & start over (lotsa Zaino coats on the car now) unless I absolutely have to.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Often times a light quick wash is all thats needed to remove any clay lube and or residue as offered. I personally use a rinseless wash. Then move onto paint polishing by machine as possible.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Z28ImpalaSS
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

If you used a good clay lube I don't think you should have any residue. Since you're already using Zaino, I would wipe down with Z6 after claying, and then reseal with Zaino. It sounds like a small area that you are trying to fix, so I would do just that spot. No need to redo the whole car.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Unless your claying process is leaving excessive released surface dirt behind, I don't think you'll gain much by rewashing. Especially if you use a good quality lubericant. What is important is using good technique to minimize clay enduced marring. Regardless, I would highly recommend following up with a light polish prior to resealing.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not wash after claying. I do a good job wiping off the area where I just clayed. Then, I follow up with the polish. After polishing, I wipe down using a pre-wax cleaner, griots. Now, I am ready to apply the sealant. I use Zaino's Z-5, followed by a coat of Zaino's Clear Seal. Once cured, about 4 hours or so, depending on the weather, then I give it one final wipe down with Z-6 Detail spray.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Z7 soapy mix with clay and went straight to polishing. The C5 is a royal pain to dry, especially the side mirrors which hold water, horribly. I've tried everything, leaf blowers, compressed air...they're awful.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by J Z06
I used Z7 soapy mix with clay and went straight to polishing. The C5 is a royal pain to dry, especially the side mirrors which hold water, horribly. I've tried everything, leaf blowers, compressed air...they're awful.
treat yourself to a Master Blaster ....

also one of the vendors here, sell a rubber cupping that goes over the mirrors to keep water out. I believe its West Coast Corvette.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:53 AM
tiger9297
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm new here, and was interested in this thread, but had a few questions. I typically wash my car, then clay-bar it, then wax it either by hand or with an electric buffer. I think I'm missing something though.

Some of you have meantioned polishing. Is this the same as what some call buffing? Would you use a buffing/polishing compound from Turtle Wax or whatever with an electric polisher/buffer AFTER clay-bar?

Also, some have mentioned finishing with a "sealant". Does this mean to finish with a coat of wax? Are wax/sealant the same thing? I'm assuming this would not be a spray-on type wax, but rather a paste type wax. Apply, let dry, then buff off?

I hate to be an idiot, but want to make sure I know what means what. I have a silver Z06 and I'm always looking for a way to make it look even better. thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tiger9297
Hey guys, I'm new here, and was interested in this thread, but had a few questions. I typically wash my car, then clay-bar it, then wax it either by hand or with an electric buffer. I think I'm missing something though.

Some of you have meantioned polishing. Is this the same as what some call buffing? Would you use a buffing/polishing compound from Turtle Wax or whatever with an electric polisher/buffer AFTER clay-bar?

Also, some have mentioned finishing with a "sealant". Does this mean to finish with a coat of wax? Are wax/sealant the same thing? I'm assuming this would not be a spray-on type wax, but rather a paste type wax. Apply, let dry, then buff off?

I hate to be an idiot, but want to make sure I know what means what. I have a silver Z06 and I'm always looking for a way to make it look even better. thanks in advance for the help.
you have some great questions and it should not be confusing, so thanks for speaking up.

A finish that is washed and clayed often has some marring and scratches that should be removed prior to protecting all that hard work with a wax or a sealant (a synthetic wax).

So polishing can be done by hand or preferably by machine. And yes some consider that buffing. Most often a hobbist or weekend detailer will consider a random orbital buffer both for ease of use, and cost. You then have pads that very in the degree of abrasiveness and polishes. A true polish can be very light (finishing) or very aggressive (compound) and lots fall in between. You may also see swirl remover used so you have to understand how abrasive the polish is your considering. Always start light and move more abrasive as needed.

Once all that hard work is done you will typically want to protect it and thats where a traditional wax (often with carnauba) or a synthetic wax (sealant) comes into play. Both offer protection but the formulas and look can be different. Unfortunately to make things more complicated there are AIO (all in ones) which contain polishing agents in them, and also newer coatings which last much longer.

If you need any help, consider using the PM feature and I'll help. You can also find our forum on site (see toolbar) where we make it simple and help you decide on products, techniques, and the items that best fit your environment and needs.

Get notified of new replies

To After Clay, then what?

Quick Reply: After Clay, then what?