Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 11:48 PM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

I had the car painted 2 yrs ago and it looks great, but I've noticed that some waxes make it "Blacker". Does anyone know which wax will make it the "Blackest"? :flag
Old 06-07-2002, 01:14 AM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Triple Black 88)

ZAINO!
Old 06-07-2002, 02:20 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (NewVetteLover)

welcome to the Zaino section, where all replies say Zaino!

(i think the Meguiars Gold Class is pretty good for black)
Old 06-07-2002, 05:28 AM
barryscott
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Now:
If you want a deep wet shine, use Pinnacle Souveran wax. Great look on dark colored cars. I use it on mine, and nothing comes close. :cheers: :cheers:
Old 06-07-2002, 09:41 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I use Zaino on my cars. :) However, I have seen some great finishes with other products. :cheers:
Old 06-07-2002, 10:25 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've used both Meguiars and Zaino products with good results. If you use Meguiars go the 3 step route with No.9 Swirl Remover, No.7 Glaze and No.26 Hi Tech Yellow wax. This will give you a deep wet look especially if you apply it with an orbital buffer. If you go with the zaino I would recommend a dawn wash, 3M Swirl and haze remover for dark colors applied with an orbital, z1/z2 applied by hand and another coat of z2. This will give you the same type of shine. The difference is that 3 or 4 months later the Zaino will look the same as the day you applied it while the Meguiars will fade in about 2 or 3 weeks. All this from experience.
Old 06-07-2002, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (barryscott)

Hey Now:
If you want a deep wet shine, use Pinnacle Souveran wax. Great look on dark colored cars. I use it on mine, and nothing comes close. :cheers: :cheers:
What product do you use?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:30 PM
GS 163
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (NewVetteLover)

ZAINO!
:yesnod: :D
Old 06-07-2002, 02:29 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (JPLT1)

I had good luck with Zaino, but there are definitely other good products out there.

Old 06-07-2002, 04:11 PM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like I'm gonna give the Zaino a try. I checked out their website and I'm going to get the ZFX , Z2, Z5, and Z7. I'm going to skip the clay, and maybe Z5 because the paint is in great shape, I just want that super dark wet look. I have been using Maguires #1 cleaner and Liquid Glass for years, but its starting to get that haze look. I am also willing to try the Pinnacle Souveran, but I have never heard of it. Do they seel this in stores?
Thanks Again!!! :flag
Old 06-07-2002, 05:14 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

I happen to use Pinnacle Souveran as well, and it is an outstanding wax. :yesnod: Pinnacle Souveran is not sold in stores, it is a mail order item. It can be purchased from the following company: http://www.properautocare.com The company is Classic Motoring Accessories and they are great to deal with. Just be prepared for the price tag - Pinnacle Souveran will set you back $70.00 for the 8 oz. container. Yes, it's rather expensive as far as waxes go, but I've found that it produces exceptional depth and shine. Pinnacle Souveran is recommended for use on dark colored cars. Great stuff. :)
Old 06-07-2002, 06:26 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

88, I would get the Z-5, more than half of my customers just use Z-5 on the black cars, and now the new Z-5 is even brighter, I was through Collegeville twice this week, contact me if I can help you in anyway. :)
Old 06-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Spectre
Grand Poobah
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

zaino :cheers:
Old 06-08-2002, 12:07 AM
BobbyO
Racer

Zaino....if you want a long lasting glaze!
Old 06-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Does Zaino make water bead up or sheet off? Also, does it leave oily streaks like carnubas. Seems like all waxes that say "Wet Look" leave the streaks Those with dark cars know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (rubyred93)

I happen to use Pinnacle Souveran as well, and it is an outstanding wax. :yesnod: Pinnacle Souveran is not sold in stores, it is a mail order item. It can be purchased from the following company: http://www.properautocare.com The company is Classic Motoring Accessories and they are great to deal with. Just be prepared for the price tag - Pinnacle Souveran will set you back $70.00 for the 8 oz. container. Yes, it's rather expensive as far as waxes go, but I've found that it produces exceptional depth and shine. Pinnacle Souveran is recommended for use on dark colored cars. Great stuff. :)
Hey, RubyRed93! :-) My car care guru! Exactly what product do you suggest of Pinnacle Souveran?? I went to their site earlier and, I gotta tell you, pretty darned confusing product outlay. I've used the Meguiars now....and Zaino - and I really don't see any difference in the two. So I figure I'll give something else a try in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:49 AM
GShyneDM
Race Director

if you want your car to be the BLACK... use Meguairs Gold Class..

i dont want my black cars black.. i want a glass look to it. which is why i use Zaino.

two different looks.. but for yours.. you will want to use Meguairs, the only drawback is yours is harder to maintain. to keep your black look, you should wax twice a month... to keep it looking pristine. once a month if your car is garaged. feel free to contact me if you want any further assisstance :cheers: Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the best wax for Black Paint?

Old 06-08-2002, 09:34 AM
Triple Black 88
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Whats the best wax for Black Paint? (Mairi)

Mairi, I hope your not serious when you said "I've used the Meguiars now....and Zaino - and I really don't see any difference in the two" The whole reason I posted this is because the Meguiars is giving me a "hazy" look. I have tried many differeny cheap Pep Boys waxes, and what I do is I take them and do a spot. Then wipe them off and when you look on an angle you will see each one gives you a different shade of black. "Shine" has NOT been a problem!!! I'm hoping that the Zaino will make the paint the darkest shade of black and not look hazy.
Does it sound like I'm doing the right thing by going with the Zaino to solve my problem.
What do you think Ruby Red?
Old 06-08-2002, 10:17 AM
Slammed Vette
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

ZAINO!!!!!Look at sig pic!!!
Old 06-08-2002, 11:23 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Mairi - "Pinnacle" is actually the product line. Pinnacle Souveran is a specific wax that is within the Pinnacle line up. If I remember correctly, your car is black. You'd want to choose the Pinnacle Souveran over the Pinnacle Paste Glaze. The Paste Glaze is intended for lighter finishes. It may be a bit overwhelming at first to go to the Classic Motoring Accessories web site, but take your time and read through each product line and it's application. Given time, you will become familiar with it. I have a few of the Pinnacle products in my bag of tricks - some I like, some I do not. The Souveran is excellent.

Triple Balck 88 - First I just want to comment on what you said about waxes streaking, and that anyone with a dark car would know what you meant...I've never experienced any streaking with Pinnacle Souveran. I think that once you try it, you'll see that it's not your "typical" (Mother's, Meguiar's, Eagle One, etc) wax. Souveran is of a higher quality. Souveran has always provided my car with a deep/rich reflectivity. As far as "doing the right thing" by trying the Zaino - that is strictly subjective. You may try it and like it, you may not. I can tell you that I have seen a black Zaino'd Corvette in person at a recent car show and I was not impressed - but that is my opinion.

Quick Reply: Whats the best wax for Black Paint?