Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Got my Opti-Coat 2.0 from Auto Geek, and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Got my Opti-Coat 2.0 from Auto Geek, and...

Washed my silver 2009 Hummer H3 with Dawn detergent.
Claybarred then wiped down with 50/50 rubbing alcohol/water combo.

Went to work with the Opti-Coat. Did the windows, paint and plastic trim (cadding).

Last year I put gTechniq C4 on the cadding. Despite the exposure to the hot sun, it still looked perfect but I still put the Opti over it.

This stuff is ridiculous! Goes on with almost zero effort! Wiped with very little pressure about one minute later and was done!

Did one panel at a time. Used a microfiber towel to wipe down the Opti after putting it on. Threw the microfiber towel away as it seemed to have gotten stiff from the Opti.

Hummer looks PHENOMENAL! Unbelievable! Stunning! Incredible!

The surface is slicker than the Ziano's, Adams, and all the other sealants I have used over the years.

Now the best part....I live in Phoenix where it is very, very dry and dusty. I live very close to the open desert so my cars tend to get extremely dusty after I wax them. The Opti has been on for a week now and there is not one speck of dust on it! I am stunned! Woody!

I went and ordered another container of Opti-Coat from Auto Geek already. Gonna do my Ford Expedition next. If it goes as well as the Hummer, I am going to order another container and do the C6. Will I do my Ferrari 360 is the real question right now! I am gonna wait and see!!!!

BTW.....Auto Geek threw in a really nice microfiber towel at no cost. Too nice to use with the Opti. I used an old microfiber for the Opti!

Last edited by Rob4092xx; 11-20-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Opti-coat 2.0 is a coating (not really a wax or sealant) and is amazing in that it almost seems to add an additional layer of semi-permanent protection for easily a year or more. The cool thing is it actually repels dirt and dust to a degree no other product offers. The thing that takes a bit of getting use to is the way water slides off the surface and doesnt really bead as a common wax does.

I can offer I used the original professional product (Opti-gard) first on my past daily driver and for over 13 months it did its job. I have no doubt the new owner wonders what in the heck is on this finish.

Thanks for the review, and purchase, and hope to see updates as time passes and you use it on more rides. Just remember, you might get a little lost or bored with no need to refinish the cars every so often.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a link to the product on the website?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HammerDown
How about a link to the product on the website?
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Opti-coat 2.0 almost seems to add an additional layer of semi-permanent protection for easily a year or more.

For the sake of clarification, Opti-Coat IS a PERMANANT LAYER that DOES ADD an additional (measurable) layer to the surface. This coating doesn't wear away and lasts as long as your paint.

Besides being one the few professional detailers registered to apply this coating, I've also been involved with quite a bit of testing with Optimum.

Here's a monumental thread I created demonstrating the durability of the coating during a 2 year testing period. Keep in mind that I washed this vehicle with a strong dose of Dawn dish detergent on a weekly basis and the coating was still like new after 2 years:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Great info David!

I applied Opti 2.0 to my Hummer H3 and Ford Expedition. It was really hard to see where I had applied it and where I missed. In other words, it goes on so thin it is difficult to tell if it went on correctly. Advice?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:17 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Great info David!

I applied Opti 2.0 to my Hummer H3 and Ford Expedition. It was really hard to see where I had applied it and where I missed. In other words, it goes on so thin it is difficult to tell if it went on correctly. Advice?
Besides making sure your paint is 100% defect free and bare of an polishing oils, it's almost mandantory to work under proper lighting conditions. It's important to do each panel individually and properly inspect each to make sure everything is worked prior to going to the next panel. It's even more challenging on lighter color vehicles. I actually prefer working in a dark garage/building with controlled back lighting. I would suggest making sure to work the product onto the surface with overlapping strokes insuring 100% coverage. I try to work out any smearing with the applicator rather then the towel to avoid excessive product removal. There's no issue to use more then you need as long as there aren't any streaks/smears.

Let me know if this makes sense and/or you need further assistance.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

I did a very thorough wipe down with 50% and 50% Rubbing Alcohol.

I beleive it covered well. I kept checking that the product was on the applicator by wiping a small section of glass and seeing if the product was left behind on the glass. It was wet everytime I tried it.

I also used the blue paper towel over the foam applicator trick like Opti has on You Tube to keep all the product from soeaking into the foam.

I used one syringe per vehicle so I assume I wasn't applying it too thuin????

How mucg should one syringe cover?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

your are using "way" to much .... a syringe should easily more than one vehicle.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

I wiped each panel down with a microfiber towel within minutes of application. I haven't seen any "rain-bowing" or hologram effects so it must have applied it properly since I used an entire syringe per vehicle???
Old 11-30-2012, 11:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I wiped each panel down with a microfiber towel within minutes of application. I haven't seen any "rain-bowing" or hologram effects so it must have applied it properly since I used an entire syringe per vehicle???
With Opti-coat you only need to buff off the excess or high spots. Did you buff all panels like a normal sealant or wax ?? A Hummer H3 is rather large and would use considerably more than Vette, but still a full syringe is alot of the product for any 1 automobile.

Perhaps you should visit our forum at www.autogeekonline.net and look at several of the posts on Opticoat and Optiguard (the professional version) as reference.

Here is one on application for a Camry: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...made-easy.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 11-30-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Yes, I wiped it down very lightly to take out any uneven spots. I applied it just like the Opti video on You Tube shows. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyo_-UA8yM4

I did it right didn't I so long as I follwoed this video?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

I sued one syringe on my Hummer H3 which included all the glass and plastic cadding.

I used another on my Expedition.

Does this seem like too much?

Does it hurt to put a second coat on?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I sued one syringe on my Hummer H3 which included all the glass and plastic cadding.

I believe Optimum suggests only one coat at a time. You might look up Chris@Optimum before adding a second coat. I have never found the need to apply a second coat personally.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

What is the shelf life for the unused product? I'd like to "treat" 8 summer wheels now (I'm indoors and bored already) and do a car or two next spring when it warms up.
I get the impression with the syringe container that you might want to use it up quickly after opening?
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
What is the shelf life for the unused product? I'd like to "treat" 8 summer wheels now (I'm indoors and bored already) and do a car or two next spring when it warms up.
I get the impression with the syringe container that you might want to use it up quickly after opening?
I am told you should be ok as long as you store the container outside of high temp swings, no direct sunlight, and close the container properly as originally shipped. I keep mine in a cool dark cabinet and saw no appreciable difference in 4 months.

If you want two seperate products, Gtechnic makes a Wheel Armor product specifically for wheels, and its a ceramic based coating system. I recently used it on my uncoated Iforged Wheels. (just another option)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

You're totally fine! The vehicles you are doing have alot of surface area AND you're also coating the glass and trim. I'd much rather you have used more then enough then an inadequate amount.

You can reapply an additional layer within 30 days of the initial one so feel free to add another if you'd like to build things up. Just wait atleast an hour for the initial coating to cross-link.

As for stroring your coating, what harms the coating is air, so make sure that the storage tip is firming tightened and that you store your tube in stable temps (indoors). I have syringes that are 3 years old that are stll fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^David-Fermani, I appreciate you're sharing the extensive experience with this product!!

Get notified of new replies

To Got my Opti-Coat 2.0 from Auto Geek, and...

Quick Reply: Got my Opti-Coat 2.0 from Auto Geek, and...