Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Teach me how to detail myself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 AM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Teach me how to detail myself?

I would like to know what tools and steps it takes to detail my own car. I can see some decent swirl marks on my car. Would also like the steps on washing afterwards. I do use micro fiber towels, but never used two buckets as I have seen some of you guys do. Also my car will prob be washed once or twice a week as it is my daily driver and constantly washing it is just a hassle. So lets hear it please.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM
0David-Fermani
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

That's a pretty tall order to fill in just one post. There's so many varibles involved that can make your head spin too. But I'll try to address a basic go around in this response.

I would strongly suggest joining a non-biased detailing forum (Autopia.org) to get a basic familiarity of the products that most professional and enthusiast detailers are using as well as the process that works in real world environments like your own. Autopia has some of the internet's most experienced detailing veterans and the members love to help people learn the right way. Most of the people you see that teach people by way of the internet have started their detailing adventure on Autopia as well. Many other forums tend to focus on the sales push of the products they sell which might not always be the right or cost effective way of accomplishing your goals.

Basically, you'll want to 1st correct as many defects as possible on your paint using the least aggressive and easiest process and then concentrate on properly maintaining and preserving all your hard work. I don't recommend doing this by hand and this initial process requires a machine polisher.

What machines do you currectly own?

Tell us about the car you are trying to maintain, it's color, condition and what bothers you most about its appearance.

Also, keep in mind that every time you touch the paint of your car you're creating microscopic marring so keeping this at a bare minimum is very important. 2 Buckets are nice, but unless you are 1st and foremost removing the heavy debris from your paintwork this tool/process is basically useless. I would invest in a midgrade powerwasher to flush the heavy abrasives 1st prior to touching and rubbing them into your fresh paintwork.

Also, because drying your car is an act of touching it, you'll want to keep this at a minimum too. I would also get an electric leaf blower as this tool works great at safely and effectively removing water from your vehicle fast. Once this step is completed you'll only need a light spritz of a quality Quick Detailer to restore perfect clarity to your hard work.

And then there's the interior.........You'll also want to invest in a safe, quality interior cleaner. Avoid dressing interior surfaces as this promotes harmful resoiling and offers zero real world protection.

I'm sure there is alot to consider, but please let us know if you have any specific questions regarding the success of caring for your car.

Last edited by David-Fermani; 12-31-2012 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Glen e (10-11-2015)
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Save and bookmark this for easy access to each specific step:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the help. Will def bookmark. Now tools/products I can get? I don't have anything but microfiber hand towels.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Water_Walker
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

autogeek and adams have some nice video's that will get you started
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by crAzy03Z06
Thanks for all the help. Will def bookmark. Now tools/products I can get? I don't have anything but microfiber hand towels.
If we don't offer it, chances are you don't need it. Seriously, come on by, call us, pm us, whatever you want or need we are willing to help. We offer a forum at www.autogeekonline.net to help with techniques for the products we carry.

We also offer a forum discount for most products. Also check the BOGO and free samples area to build up your collection step by step and to help find products you like and need.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:11 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Page News!

Here's another good resource on the detailing topic:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...etailing-pros/
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Check out these videos.......

http://adamspolishes.com/video
Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

You can never go wrong with Autogeek products and technical advise, Mike Phillips videos are really good. Call them any time with questions and they will respond on the spot.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Might have been mentioned before but preparation is the key. Also the venders who have posted carry quality products and are great people to work with.
Experiment. Try different waxes, sealants and detailers until you find what YOU like. Some people swear by brand X or brand Y. You might like brand W.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Its always cool to see a post from the past (12/2012) come back into play.

Let us know if anyone needs help.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by crAzy
I would like to know what tools and steps it takes to detail my own car. I can see some decent swirl marks on my car. Would also like the steps on washing afterwards. I do use micro fiber towels, but never used two buckets as I have seen some of you guys do. Also my car will prob be washed once or twice a week as it is my daily driver and constantly washing it is just a hassle. So lets hear it please.
Have you watched any of the Junkmans Videos?He can be a little long winded,but they are informative.He has a series of 20 or so videos.Here is one to get you started...

The following users liked this post:
Daviddear30 (11-07-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Teach me how to detail myself?

Quick Reply: Teach me how to detail myself?