Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Spent a few hours waxing my c6 Vert/. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 PM
tlegend
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Spent a few hours waxing my c6 Vert/. (pics)

I used the following products

Armor all orange Car wash

Meguiar's Clay bar

Porter Cable 7424XP Random orbital buffer

Meguiar's Cleaning Wax

Meguiar's towel

results (pics are not the greatest on my iphone 5)

notice where the clear bra meets

paint reflection

now i am scared to drive... LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Turned out great!

Having the guts to pull out of the driveway is the toughest part lol.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
edcologne
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i need a car that i can do that to.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:19 AM
DrewCfromSC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really nice and a great day for doing it too! Look at that clear blue sky!
Drew
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

what did you use the Porter Cable 7424XP for? I didn't see that you polished it before you waxed it. Or maybe you just applied wax with the PC?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by speedraider
what did you use the Porter Cable 7424XP for? I didn't see that you polished it before you waxed it. Or maybe you just applied wax with the PC?
you can use a buffer with a cleaner wax (AIO) product. Its not a dedicated polish, but has some abrasive qualities and paint cleansers in it. Alot of people still use a one step on cars with nice finishes, and we can assume thats likely what was done here.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 PM
tlegend
Instructor

question for you car detailer guys.

If i really look hard in the paint i can see what appears to be not scratches but marks in certain areas in the paint (like if scuff marks but not scratch deep, if i shine a light to it i can tell) Just in some small area, again this is me looking at it from several different angles etc...

How can i remove those? I am assuming i can polish and then wax, but what products besides the over the shelf i can use?
Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by tlegend

If i really look hard in the paint i can see what appears to be not scratches but marks in certain areas in the paint (like if scuff marks but not scratch deep, if i shine a light to it i can tell) Just in some small area, again this is me looking at it from several different angles etc...

How can i remove those? I am assuming i can polish and then wax, but what products besides the over the shelf i can use?
Hard to say exactly without seeing them, but polishing should take care of them. More specifically, polishing with a machine. If the polish you currently use doesn't take care of them, it's time for something a little more aggressive.

Take a look at our lineup here: Adam's Machine Polish and Machine Pads.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

The Vettes clearcoat is quite hard and that seems wierd as its easy to scratch and cause marring. In order to remove them on hard surfaces you need dedicated paint polishes. You can find them locally, but consider you will also want an orbital buffer. The new Griots Random Orbital is a hot seller and won't break the bank, yet very user friendly too.

There are three two-step polishing systems that are proven on the Vette and you can read their many praises on site:

Megs 105 and 205
Menzerna SIP and 085rd
Wolfgang 3.0 TSR and FG
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 PM
tlegend
Instructor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The Vettes clearcoat is quite hard and that seems wierd as its easy to scratch and cause marring. In order to remove them on hard surfaces you need dedicated paint polishes. You can find them locally, but consider you will also want an orbital buffer. The new Griots Random Orbital is a hot seller and won't break the bank, yet very user friendly too.

There are three two-step polishing systems that are proven on the Vette and you can read their many praises on site:

Megs 105 and 205
Menzerna SIP and 085rd
Wolfgang 3.0 TSR and FG

will the PC 7424 work?

Since i just waxed using meguiars cleaning wax, should i wait few weeks before reapplying what you indicated? or use it on the areas needed?

Also can you please tell me what is the process to use? Like applicator etc..?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:21 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

will the PC 7424 work?

Since i just waxed using meguiars cleaning wax, should i wait few weeks before reapplying what you indicated? or use it on the areas needed?

Also can you please tell me what is the process to use? Like applicator etc..?
You can polish paint whenever wanted, it will remove the old wax. You can also remove the wax in advance with a paint cleanser as desired.

Your PC is a great buffer and can be used. You will want to start with the more aggressive polish and a medium pad (I like the Hydro-tech pads). Work a panel at a time and go to a more aggressive pad only as needed. You will use the highest speed and some pressure but not enough to stop the orbit. Once you feel the panel is in good shape grab a finishing pad (light) and the lighter polish and repolish the area. This will bring out more reflection and gloss.

Then use a good wax to protect the area. I might suggest considering a pure wax not a cleaner wax at this point to remove any more abrasives. You will apply via foam applicator and lightly buff off with MF towel.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Looks good, nice job.

Get notified of new replies

To Spent a few hours waxing my c6 Vert/. (pics)

Quick Reply: Spent a few hours waxing my c6 Vert/. (pics)