Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Machine polish vs hand rub........

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Default Machine polish vs hand rub........

After many years of wax applications (I'm 80), I finally tried a machine polish. It wasn't so much the need to see if a machine polish was easier than a hand rub, I was looking to see if there was an improved finish with a machine polisher. My neighbor (since moved) owned two Ferraris, and always polished by hand.

Watching numerous videos of detail shops all using powered polishers, I determined there must be a reason.

Using a 10" orbital polisher with a soft bonnet (wool blend with synthetic fibers) resulted in a major shine that was never achieved with a hand rub. I know the orbital polisher ($35) and wool bonnet ($3) are not the preferred components, but I could not be more pleased with the results. No swirls or scratches, just a brilliant shine.

It appears to me that a hand rub does not completely remove all the wax residue, and the machine polisher does.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Make the switch to a dual action (DA) polisher and never look back. You can do so much more with a DA than you could ever do by hand or one of those cheap 9" or 10" buffers you get from Walmart or an auto parts store. Typical cost is about $125 to $300 depending on what you what brand and model you are looking at . Volumes of information exist on this forum. Contact autogeek for advise and your options, they handle all the good brands.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Thanks for the response. I completely understand your recommendation to use a DA polisher. All the pros use a DA (for a reason) but my shine results are highly satisfactory using the cheap tools. Not sure how much Meguire's NXT added to the shine.

Last edited by don hall; 03-11-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The machine you are using is great for applying and removal of polish/wax. It will not do any paint correction. The DA will do that. If your paint needs no correction then stick with what you have been doing. The best way to deal with scratches and swirls is to never get them in the first place. Sounds like your sysyem is working just fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firebug10
The machine you are using is great for applying and removal of polish/wax. It will not do any paint correction. The DA will do that. If your paint needs no correction then stick with what you have been doing. The best way to deal with scratches and swirls is to never get them in the first place. Sounds like your sysyem is working just fine.
Thank you........ you are correct.... no paint corrections needed.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Glad to hear you've "seen the light" that working with a machine offers.

Post up some pictures!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:50 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Unfortunately the buffer your using is really considered more of a wax applicator and wax remover versus any type of polish. Using it with a light cleaner wax like NXT is fine as the wax has minor cleaners and polishes and machine will still likely help a bit more than hand polishing. In the end, it really is time to spend a couple dollars and move up to an orbital with more power, bigger engine, and speed sensitivity. (sounds like a Vette) You will indeed see more and more value once you make the commitment, so let us know when your ready to commit and we will help make it simple.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
.......In the end, it really is time to spend a couple dollars and move up to an orbital with more power........
Yes, it is a '92 dark red metallic vette, and the shine is fantastic.
Maybe in the eyes of a pro-detailer there could be improvement,
but I couldn't be more satisfied with the results provided by my 'cheap' equipment.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

On the other side I have a random orbiter or such Porter Cable that I've not used for 10 years. I just never could see the difference......on a torch car. Have to dig that baby out and put it up for sale. I got a motto if I got to squint it's not there. I saw no noticeable difference.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I have 40 year old motorcycle I restored. The black gas tank never looks good unless I use my orbital. No matter what wax/polish I use. My black mini van made me believer in DA's!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
On the other side I have a random orbiter or such Porter Cable that I've not used for 10 years. I just never could see the difference......on a torch car. Have to dig that baby out and put it up for sale. I got a motto if I got to squint it's not there. I saw no noticeable difference.
over the last 10 years there has been a significant improvement in pad technology as well as paint polishes. You won't be squinting. Best part you can use the PC as a wax applicator and removal too.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
vectorz
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
over the last 10 years there has been a significant improvement in pad technology as well as paint polishes. You won't be squinting. Best part you can use the PC as a wax applicator and removal too.
Which pad should I get for applying and which for removing (wax)? On a vehicle that is brand new and has no swirls.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vectorz
Which pad should I get for applying and which for removing (wax)? On a vehicle that is brand new and has no swirls.
There is no color standard for pads, so it may vary per manufacturer. I use the Lake Country pads. I use the black pad for applying wax and the Orange pad with a MF bonnet for removal. I know Adam's colormatches the product and pad to make it easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Machine polish vs hand rub........

Quick Reply: Machine polish vs hand rub........