Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polish vs. wax...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Polish vs. wax...

I want to try a polish on my car. It already has a good coat of wax on it. Will applying polish over wax remove the wax????
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Yes, any abrasive polish will remove existing wax on your finish.

The ideal way to go about it is to do a strip wash by adding a few ounces of All Purpose Cleaner to your wash bucket before you begin. This will remove the wax on the surface so you can clay/polish a perfectly "bare" slate.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
Yes, any abrasive polish will remove existing wax on your finish.

The ideal way to go about it is to do a strip wash by adding a few ounces of All Purpose Cleaner to your wash bucket before you begin. This will remove the wax on the surface so you can clay/polish a perfectly "bare" slate.
Thanks, that's what I will do then. Boy, black is a beautiful color bout a real pain!!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
I want to try a polish on my car. It already has a good coat of wax on it. Will applying polish over wax remove the wax????
I wish it was that easy .... unfortunately the terms are used loosely and you should study the product before making the decision and which steps to follow.

Polish --- generally this is an abrasive paste used to correct paint. They come in levels from harsh (compound), swirl removers (medium), to light (finishing). These products can be used by hand but most are designed for use by machine.

Wax --- this is a very common term and often means a protective layer of product used to temporarily product the work you did to clean up and perhaps polish paint. In the industry we consider these carnauba based primarily, but sealants (synthetic waxes), and coatings now exist. There are also AIO - All In One products which contain paint cleaners, abrasive polishes and wax all in one bottle.

Now as I alluded to initially, manufacturers also use terms loosely to help their product stand out amongst its peers. Zaino for instance calls their two synthetic waxes "show polishes" but really has no polishing ability. They are a pure sealant to protect paint. Our Wolfgang Glaze 3.0 is a finishing polish not really a filler product. These are just a couple quick examples.

So before you simply slap a sealant on top of a 'nuba wax and see no benefit, you might need a traditional paint cleanser and/or polish also. And when using these traditional polishes and cleaners, remember most have NO protective qualities meaning you need to apply one on top after use.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned several black cars and you're right ... they look AWESOME clean and shiny, but can be a royal pain to keep that way.

The secret with any sweet glossy looking ride is getting out as many scratches and swirls as you can and that goes DOUBLE for black cars, as they show everything.

I would suggest that you start with a cleaner wax ... then a swirl remover, then an advanced finishing polish ... and seriously = take your time here, because this is where you get all those smaller light scratches out ... glaze if you want after that, then carnauba wax

Try it once, it will realllly make the difference ... its sweat equity, but people will WOW when they walk up to your car

Get notified of new replies

To Polish vs. wax...

Quick Reply: Polish vs. wax...