Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polishing experts, need advice.......

Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM
SWOOP10
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing experts, need advice.......

I purchased a 2011 GS BLACK, i have never owned a black car before and I know why but the wife loves it so that was the deal if i wanted another vette. Under my garage lights i can see lots of fine scratches in the clear coat, what is the best way to remove them? Should i sand down with 3M 3000 then rubbing compound with orbital buffer then polishing compound? Looking for the best method to get that new car shine and get rid of all the scrathes and swirls. Any help would be great!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Got your attention?

No sanding, hopefully, will be needed.

Very common problem. Usually relatively easy to fix (it's actually called paint CORRECTION).....but on a black car it's probably best to leave it to a professional detailer or preferably a paint correction expert.

It just takes time with a dual action buffer, maybe a rotary buffer, and the right polishing compounds and pads.

If you want to do it yourself, I suggest you get educated by going to Autogeek.net and reviewing their tutorial videos, how-to's, forums, etc. There is A LOT to learn if you've never done it before. They sell all the products and equipment you will need for a good price and offer great service. They are a vendor here too. Also, you can go into the Auto Care Forum here and talk to other owners and many professionals who hang out there. You could even look around for a local detailer who offers beginner intro seminars so you could actually see the process up close.....maybe check with local Corvette, BMW, Porsche clubs who may sponsor such seminars regularly.

Good luck and have fun.

Edit: Link to the Care Care Forum here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion-10/

Last edited by RicK T; 11-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Try Menzerna super intense polish from Auto Geek followed by there final polish use orange pad for super and white for final polish than us zanio or c magic that is put on at the Corvette Muesum for del.
z51vett
Doug
Old 11-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Got your attention?

No sanding, hopefully, will be needed.

Very common problem. Usually relatively easy to fix (it's actually called paint CORRECTION).....but on a black car it's probably best to leave it to a professional detailer or preferably a paint correction expert.

It just takes time with a dual action buffer, maybe a rotary buffer, and the right polishing compounds and pads.

If you want to do it yourself, I suggest you get educated by going to Autogeek.net and reviewing their tutorial videos, how-to's, forums, etc. There is A LOT to learn if you've never done it before. They sell all the products and equipment you will need for a good price and offer great service. They are a vendor here too. Also, you can go into the Auto Care Forum here and talk to other owners and many professionals who hang out there. You could even look around for a local detailer who offers beginner intro seminars so you could actually see the process up close.....maybe check with local Corvette, BMW, Porsche clubs who may sponsor such seminars regularly.

Good luck and have fun.

Edit: Link to the Care Care Forum here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion-10/

NO SANDING !!

I also have black & removed 99% of them with the car care kit from AutoGeeks, I washed car with Blue Dawn to remove old waxes, then used orbital machine using Megs #205 (you may have to use #105 first on severe swirls) according to their video on the right way to do it, it becomes very easy to see your progress then I applied Megs. NXT waited 24 hrs. then put a coat of Megs. Carnauba wax, I am very pleased with the results, BUT being black dust shows up as soon as your finished, that's the down side.. Oh well !!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

^^^What they all said.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

As already stated, NO sanding. If it come to that, then I suggest that you have a professional do any wet sanding that is need.
With that sad, the clear coat on Corvette's is a fairly hard surface and what you are seeing is very common, especially on dark colors. There are a lot of great products out there, I happen to use Adams Detail products. All of his products are extremely easy to use and they do get the job done. If you should decide to tackle the job, I suggest that you check out a few of the auto detail vendors here and see what they have to offer. Adams not only is a vendor here, but he also has a great forum if you have in special questions.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

wetsanding is best for removing orange peel and working on deeper scratches. You will find success using Menzerna SIP and 085rd, or Wolfgang TSR and FG 3.0. Both are two step polishes and best used by machine with some foam pads. (hydro techs rock)

Come visit our site and forum for your needs and best of all free advice and hints as well as videos .... www.autogeek.net
Old 11-11-2013, 04:27 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

NOOOOO sanding, as mentioned above. That's a last resort.

Do you have a machine polisher at your disposal? On black, it's nearly a must do. Machine polishing will yield the results you're after. Hand polishing is capable of making some improvements, but it really takes a machine to yield swirl/scratch free results.

Our 2-step paint polishing combo will get you where you want to be. You can find all of our polishing kits here:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-59-ma...-and-kits.aspx

Take a moment to cruise trough our videos, lots of great info in there...especially in regards to machine polishing!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx
Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Even professional detailers can cause problems, by leaving swirls in the clearcoat or by getting overly-aggressive with the polish and removing more of your clearcoat than is necessary. Some of those guys will start out with a rotary wire brush.

Do some checking around you area, and be sure the polish guy knows you want minimum clear removal.

It should look awesome when finished!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Black is a pain. Probably be the last black car I own but here is my review/steps on removing scratches and swirls of my GS.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-...on-the-c6.html
Old 11-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Joz132
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
You will find success using Menzerna SIP and 085rd (hydro techs rock)

SIP
w/cyan pad

085rd
w/tangerine pad

Should be all you need
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
You will find success using Menzerna SIP and 085rd, or Wolfgang TSR and FG 3.0. Both are two step polishes and best used by machine with some foam pads. (hydro techs rock)
I have had great success with the Wolfgang products on my 11 GS.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:56 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
As already stated, NO sanding. If it come to that, then I suggest that you have a professional do any wet sanding that is need.
With that sad, the clear coat on Corvette's is a fairly hard surface and what you are seeing is very common, especially on dark colors. There are a lot of great products out there, I happen to use Adams Detail products. All of his products are extremely easy to use and they do get the job done. If you should decide to tackle the job, I suggest that you check out a few of the auto detail vendors here and see what they have to offer. Adams not only is a vendor here, but he also has a great forum if you have in special questions.
I also have a black Vette and I used to polish & wax it by hand and I THOUGHT it looked good, untill I got a Porter Cable. What I difference ! Adams Swirl Remover, followed by polish then sealant and finally wax. You WON"T be disappointed, this is not a quick job, expect to spend a least 6 - 8 hours, but when you are finished you will be very proud of your accomplishment. Don't be afraid with the foam pads, you can't screw up. Go to Adams website, alot of great info.

Get notified of new replies

To Polishing experts, need advice.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Polishing experts, need advice.......