Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What this detailer is not seeing with this Porche

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 03:10 PM
Realistic Detailer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What this detailer is not seeing with this Porche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYed_Hnrql4#t=352

What I see when I watch this video is what is being taken as gospel truth on many forums. Primarily, that scratches seen on this Porsche are all actual scratches in the clear coat.I do not think so, nor has anyone shown proof either.First,when I see cars like this I wonder why a car like this looks this way in the first place, and to blame it on improper wash methods as the main reason does not make sense IMO.

In the video the detailer states that when he washes the car with Dawn, and a clay bar ALL the wax is totally is gone, and what is seen is the actual scratches caused from bad washing techniques.He supports that claim by showing a magnified view of the paint as proof.

To me all this video shows is that all this washing really did was create more scratching, but not on the clear coat itself. It is my guess that this Porsche was waxed more than once, so when this car was washed in the video all that it did was smear the existing layers of whatever was applied to this car before.

Now let me say this clearly: Most of the so-called scratching on this Porsche is NOT in the clear coat itself. Why? Since wax can cover up swirl marks for a short time. Then why is it crazy to assume that when wax wears off it appears that these are scratches in the clear itself. Since wax does not bond to the paint, but sticks then it must wear off sometime, but not all of it at one time.

This talk by the detailer of soft and hard paint as a problem makes no sense at all. If a clear coat was harder in nature it would make complete sense that scratching would be harder to inflict by just washing with a harsh soap.

I am not posting this video to bash this detailer by any means, but just to give a different mindset to this matter. The detailer states this car has been repainted once, and looks like it will soon be ready for another soon. Correction is an attempt to fix a problem like swirl marks,but clearly it does not always work. Yes,flaws can be covered up by glazes and waxes for a short time, but not always permanently.

A new vette is not cheap,and that is the time to start with a true protection product, and not wax. On used vehicles, you start when purchased, so you can prevent any further damage from the elements ,and more wear from correction.

Last edited by Realistic Detailer; 11-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:49 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Bill? Is that you?

What is the proposed "protection" product you would recommend?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Realistic Detailer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Bill? Is that you?

What is the proposed "protection" product you would recommend?
Here we go again. I am recommending Opti Coat for the very reason it can be purchased easily at a fair price, and a novice can apply it. It offers real protection so you do not have to correct paint constantly, and you can wash your vehicle with real soap to remove then dirt and grime instead of sticking to it.

I have used a product very similar to Opti Coat since 1992, and I have applied it to every application from aircraft, boats, and many different vehicles. The product is only sold to vendors, so it is not sold to the public.

Last edited by Realistic Detailer; 11-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Some times you "pro's" can over think this entire paint protection issue. I bought a 2002 Ford crew cab diesel new and washed it twice a year and clayed and waxed it once a year. It never seen the inside of a garage simply because it was to big to get inside.
Fast forward to 2009 the year I bought the Flex. One pass with the right compound and the paint looked better than what it did new. The Flex removed all the swirls and scratches that were mostly caused by me when washing an waxing. When I went to sell it this spring the very first person who looked at it bought it for my asking price an he made several comments on how the paint looked brand new. Truck was used to haul one of my boats to the ocean and seen its share of sea gull crap and some of it was not cleaned off for a week.
Detailing used to be fun until I got old. Now all I want to do is wipe the car off with Pledge to remove the dust d only wash, clay and wax when it needs it.
KISS works very well and is cheap.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Some times you "pro's" can over think this entire paint protection issue. I bought a 2002 Ford crew cab diesel new and washed it twice a year and clayed and waxed it once a year. It never seen the inside of a garage simply because it was to big to get inside.
Fast forward to 2009 the year I bought the Flex. One pass with the right compound and the paint looked better than what it did new. The Flex removed all the swirls and scratches that were mostly caused by me when washing an waxing. When I went to sell it this spring the very first person who looked at it bought it for my asking price an he made several comments on how the paint looked brand new. Truck was used to haul one of my boats to the ocean and seen its share of sea gull crap and some of it was not cleaned off for a week.
Detailing used to be fun until I got old. Now all I want to do is wipe the car off with Pledge to remove the dust d only wash, clay and wax when it needs it.
KISS works very well and is cheap.

Curious, what wax did you use? Once a year is a stretch for any wax.

However, when correcting the paint it does make a big difference doesn't it? Truck sold easy, for a good price, and new owner was thrilled. Great testimony for putting in the time to make your ride look good!

As for pro's vs KISS.... Both Timex and Rolex tell time, but if someone wants the best of the best, they won't be buying it at Target
Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Liquid Gold Class Mequiars for the most part. I seriously doubted the wax protection lasted the entire year. Living in Alaska at the time the truck was covered with snow much of the winter. Just trying to make a point that we can easily spend to much time and effort.

Once you wash, clay, and wax a full size crew cab you can understand why I only did it once a year

Get notified of new replies

To What this detailer is not seeing with this Porche

Quick Reply: What this detailer is not seeing with this Porche