Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

how to clean engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 01:15 PM
wfd1739
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default how to clean engine bay

just bought a 96 grand sport and the engine bay while not filthy needs a cleaning. I was wondering if spaying water would effect any of the electronics. If it does can anyone give any tips?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
floridamale
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have posted this in the For Sale section ask a mod to move it to general.
DO NOT SPRAY WATER UNDER THE CLAM OF A LTx engine you will ruin your Opti
Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Lowly Camaro Owner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have had Camaros, 2 with optis for 4 years each. I would spray the engine compartment with a home use pressure washer about twice a year. I was careful to not direct the spray at the opti and never had a problem. One thing is important however, never spray a hot motor, do it when cold only.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Use a damp towel with some APC on it. You can cut a paintbrush bristles in 1/2 as needed for some agitation. I also suggest using a can of compressed air to blow sand out of corners. Use a water based protectant (not silicone which will attract dirt) like 303 Aerospace to protect. No hose needed ....
Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Very lightly spray with a pressure washer to get out the dirt and sand. Then drive it home and spray everything down with WD40. Let is soak for awhile and then get all those old towels you been saving and wipe, wipe, and wipe some more.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:43 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The best way to clean an engine is also the easiest. Not usually a true statement.
Lift the hood, mist a cool engine liberally with P21S Total Auto Wash. Get the motor, the metals, plastic trim, etc etc. It will not harm paintwork, wipers, glass, anything.
Let sit for 5 mins and hose off.
Obviously avoid hosing the fuse box with force. Get every nook and cranny, and wash it off thoroughly.
Towel dry the flat areas and blow dry with your leaf blower.
Start the motor and warm it up the aid in complete drying.
The cleaner is flat out amazing.
I have done this and demo'd this at car club events to many cars and just did it to my new to me '12 Z that had a layer of oily junk applied by the selling dealer.
The engine bay is now factory clean with no oils on it to attract dust and dirt.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2013, 08:49 PM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Plastics come out perfect.
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 AM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 12zo
The best way to clean an engine is also the easiest. Not usually a true statement.
Lift the hood, mist a cool engine liberally with P21S Total Auto Wash. Get the motor, the metals, plastic trim, etc etc. It will not harm paintwork, wipers, glass, anything.
Let sit for 5 mins and hose off.
Obviously avoid hosing the fuse box with force. Get every nook and cranny, and wash it off thoroughly.
Towel dry the flat areas and blow dry with your leaf blower.
Start the motor and warm it up the aid in complete drying.
The cleaner is flat out amazing.
I have done this and demo'd this at car club events to many cars and just did it to my new to me '12 Z that had a layer of oily junk applied by the selling dealer.
The engine bay is now factory clean with no oils on it to attract dust and dirt.
I didnt have good results with this P21S. It actually left streaks in my paint which if I hadnt removed right away, I felt they would have been permanent.

I'll give it another try though.

Isnt this usually done while the engine is running?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by important
I didnt have good results with this P21S. It actually left streaks in my paint which if I hadnt removed right away, I felt they would have been permanent.

If you left steaks in your paint it would be the first time I have ever seen that. You mean your fenders and such? It's a citrus based cleaner. It would never harm paint. Perhaps the wax you have on the car got partially washed off or looked funny while the cleaner was working?

Not sure. I've used it on tons of cars since being shown it and had great success.

Spray it on a cool engine, let sit and wash off. I avoid the fenders and top of the hood but only because they are not what I target. I've never seen it affect any paint at all. Sealed paint, waxed paint or long overdue paint. Never a concern.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Another vote for the P21S and a light spray rinse. That stuff is great. Cover your alternator prior to cleaning to prevent damage.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by important

was the finish cool ??? Did you use total wash ??? I have personally never seen streaking from it, but possible if it dried prematurely ??

Get notified of new replies

To how to clean engine bay

Quick Reply: how to clean engine bay