Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Using Car Wash soap to clean MF Towels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Car Wash soap to clean MF Towels?

Can I use a high quality liquid Car Wash soap in a wash machine to clean my Micro-Fiber Towelss? I figure they get exposed to this soap anyway so it shouldn't be bad for them but I wonder what might happen in the wash machine. Don't want to open the wash room to a room full of suds. LOL!
Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I use a soft thick MF towel with car soap to wash my car ... works as well as a mitt and much easier to maneuver. I do however wash all my MF towels with a dedicated MF soap like those from DP and Blackfire.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Spoken like a true salesmen.

Looking for negative effects of using standard laundry detergent.

I am sure codling MF towels has some benefit but to what extent.

I wash mine separate but with normal laundry soap, works for my comfort level. Wash it on hand wash setting with less soap and on longest wash cycle water is cold/cold.

I'll probably get schooled here pretty quick!

Like with the claying process over the chemical cleaning and polishing.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:21 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I use a soft thick MF towel with car soap to wash my car ... works as well as a mitt and much easier to maneuver. I do however wash all my MF towels with a dedicated MF soap like those from DP and Blackfire.
If you have high quality MF towels the dedicated MF cleaners are the best insurance against damage to the fibers. Damaged towels will cause a "lint" type residue on the surface of the paint. I personally have used Micro-Restore for several years with good results.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
KenVette57
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have to agree with the wash soap. Did a waterless wash yesterday and left the lint... Does that mean my towels are toast or can I bring them back?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by KenVette57
Have to agree with the wash soap. Did a waterless wash yesterday and left the lint... Does that mean my towels are toast or can I bring them back?
I have found using dryer ***** in the dryer can help control linting. I also find using a dedicated MF towel cleaner and white vinegar in the rinse seems to help.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I wash normal wash and have zero lint.

Quality towels to 80/20 blend and some with very thick napp.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I have found using dryer ***** in the dryer can help control linting. I also find using a dedicated MF towel cleaner and white vinegar in the rinse seems to help.
I use the blue plastic dryer ***** from Wal-Mart not the wool looking ones. Use the extra rinse cycle and then add the white vinegar to the 3rd rinse, dry on low heat.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Nicky43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Spoken like a true salesmen.

Looking for negative effects of using standard laundry detergent.

I am sure codling MF towels has some benefit but to what extent.

I wash mine separate but with normal laundry soap, works for my comfort level. Wash it on hand wash setting with less soap and on longest wash cycle water is cold/cold.

I'll probably get schooled here pretty quick!

Like with the claying process over the chemical cleaning and polishing.
Actually I agree. There is a lot myths and information that just doesn't seem logical to me floating around in the auto care industry. And you hit on a good point, our 'comfort level'. They use that with our dedication to a great looking car to scare us into buying products all these millions of products. I'm amazed at how many car care products there are and how many different types and brands of each.

The more we touch our paint, the faster we will do damage to it. I was recently told I needed to polish my brand spankin new Corvette even though it shines bright as the brand new car that it is. I'm certainly not about to shave a layer of clear coat off the car to fix paint that ain't broke and looks brand new.

Polishing is something you never want to have to do and usually is needed because of poor washing practices. I too believe claying and washing then waxing is a great system. I will only resort to polishing when I see damage in the paint that needs it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Have been using Dawn, bleach and hot water for my towels and no dryer sheets.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Car wash soap isn't going to get microfibers clean properly. Its meant to clean the cars.

For cleaning microfibers use Micro Restore or regular liquid detergent (adding a 1/3-1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar every other wash will help break up polishes/waxes/etc from the fibers and soften them up).

Never use fabric softener, water softener, or dryer sheets.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Car wash soap isn't going to get microfibers clean properly. Its meant to clean the cars.

For cleaning microfibers use Micro Restore or regular liquid detergent (adding a 1/3-1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar every other wash will help break up polishes/waxes/etc from the fibers and soften them up).

Never use fabric softener, water softener, or dryer sheets.

Get notified of new replies

To Using Car Wash soap to clean MF Towels?

Quick Reply: Using Car Wash soap to clean MF Towels?