Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 03:54 PM
BIGMAC2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots

I now have a bad case of "burned in" water spots on the hood of my Zaino'ed beater (thank God not my C5) thanks to lawn sprinkler overspray. I believe I saw a non-abrasive remedy has been posted before- I think it is clear vinegar- but I need it now! Will this fix (or the correct one) remove Zaino? Will I have to start over?

Help!
Old 07-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots (BIGMAC2)

If Z6 doesn't take it off try a mixture of water and white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray it on the spot(s) and wipe it off. It may remove some Zaino, but not enough to worry about. If that doesn't work, you will have to try an abrasive product like 3M 39009 or Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0. The abrasive products will remove Zaino. If you go this route be sure to wash with Dawn before you re-Zaino.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:43 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Straight vinegar won't hurt the finish.

Also, try a claybar before you use an abrasive.
Old 07-13-2002, 03:18 AM
Ripped427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up using 3M buffing compound and a buffer to get mine out. My water spots were tougher than vinegar or the clay bar. Good luck.. :boxing
Old 07-13-2002, 09:02 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Default Re: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots (Ripped427)

They were that bad!! :eek: :eek:

Glad to hear they are better. :cheers:
Old 07-13-2002, 01:16 PM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

Nothing in the industry will prevent water spots or acid rain etching...:(

There isn't a polish or wax made that can guard off water and what is in the water, water spots are remnants of the minerals that was in the water that avaporated on the surface. It depends on the water and by in part what state you live in and what chemicals are in the rain water.

You can not let water evaporate on the surface, no matter what kind of wax or polish you are using. Never wash a car, especially dark colors in direct sunlight. Try to wash your car in the morning or late afternoon or evening... Never wash or use cold water on a hot paint surface.

You must dry the car very well after washing. Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....

If you car gets caught in the rain and the rain drop evaporate on the surface, immediate action must follow by washing the car and use the Z-6 to remove fresh water spots, that is one of the uses of Z-6.

Most 'fresh' mineral deposits (water spotting, acid rain, etc.) can be removed with Z-7 Show Car Wash or Z-6 Gloss Enhancer spray. If they have been on the car for a while and Z-6 or Z-7 will not remove them. Use household white vinegar full strength. This is acetic acid and will loosen and remove the mineral deposits and not harm the paint surface. Most of the time, the water spot etching you see is simply the hardened mineral deposit, giving the illusion of etching into the paint. Believe me, when these mineral deposits harden. They become really tough and hard to remove. The trick is to not give them a chance to harden.

If the above fails, then you can use the Z-18 ClayBar, Mothers Clay or ClayMagic to remove them....

If those water spots on your car have been there for a while. They might be already etched into the clear coat. If Z-18 ClayBar will not remove them. Then what you are seeing is an etched spot in the paint surface.

Although, I am totally against using an abrasive product on todays clear coated finishes. It seems like, in your specific situation, you don't
have a choice. I would try 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover part #39009 by hand, not by machine, using very light pressure. This should do the trick. Be careful when doing this and only do the water spot areas, as the 3M is abrasive and will remove paint material. Don't forget to reapply Z-5 or Z-2 as the 3M products will remove any polish.

If you opt to go with the 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze... see following tips...

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By hand: Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton
diaper or piece of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1' X 1' section using light to medium pressure until it starts to dry out.
Then take a second towel and lightly rub back and forth until the polish residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there are still some
swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more aggressive product once. After you are done you can wash with Z-7 and apply Z-5.

Hope this helps. Need more advice call me. :)
Old 07-14-2002, 08:31 AM
BobbyO
Racer

Default Re: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots (Zaino Bros (Sal))

I'm confused!:confused: If you use an abrasive like the 3M product or any kind of scratch and swirl remover, wouldn't you have to use Z1 (assuming that you don't have ZFX) before you apply Z2 or Z5? I'm led to believe that these products will remove the Zaino base, therefore, you have to start the process from the beginning. Am I missing something?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:35 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Re: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots (BobbyO)

I'm confused!:confused: If you use an abrasive like the 3M product or any kind of scratch and swirl remover, wouldn't you have to use Z1 (assuming that you don't have ZFX) before you apply Z2 or Z5? I'm led to believe that these products will remove the Zaino base, therefore, you have to start the process from the beginning. Am I missing something?

Yes you would have to start over on the areas that you use the abrasive product on, usually the hood, roof and truck areas, but not the whole car, you have to "repair" the damage area and this is the only way. :)
Old 07-14-2002, 11:26 PM
BobbyO
Racer

Default Re: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots (hcvone)

Thanks Carl, that point wasn't clear in Sal's response. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots

Quick Reply: Paging Sal Zaino or other Zaino Experts- water spots