Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 11:42 AM
Patrick96LT4
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret

I stopped using Zaino earlier this summer! :nonod:

Actually, I ran out... and didn't get it until I was at VetteWrench for a car show.

I had nothing, simply nothing to use and the car needed some sprucing up. So, I flew to the hardware store and bought some Meguiars.

I claybards, washed the car with Dawn, and put on the Meguiards Gold class. I took of the Megiuars when it was ready to come off, and buffed the car as well as I could before using the detail spray to even things out...... 3 hours later I just wanted to smash my head on the wall. The finish always had some kind of murkey hallucination kind of look to it.

So, I went back to the hardware store and bought some baby-blue Zymol for like $15.00. I figured it was better then Meguiars, as I heard some other folks having luck with it.

So, I wash the car with dawn.

Now, putting on Zymol was a tough effort. It was so THICK. I finally decided it was best to REALLY dampen the applicator pad and to occassional spray spring water on the car to thin out areas while applying.

I took it off, and it was far better then Meguiars (clarity of finish)... but I couldn't help but believe I used 5 times more product than was necessary.

Buffing it off was TOUGH people, VERY tough. And, I used spring water in a spray bottle to assist in final polishing.

End result? Not bad.

Here is the FUNNY part.

I did everything I could to NOT WASH the car, because I knew I'd just wash off the wax and oils.

So, when it was dusty, I used Meguiars detail spray and a nice towel to get it looking good again.

But, after washing it one time and looking at it in the light, it would appear the dust I "wiped off" ended up scratching the paint because I could see EXACTLY where I wiped it off. ARG!

I finally got some Zaino from Vettewrench.

I did the big strip (dawn & clay bar) and skipped Z1 because of a time issue and went right to Z5 and the new ZFX drying stuff.

Put it on (must have used 1/10th of wax product amount). It went on like CAKE! Then I buffed it off, and new one more time that Zaino was king. The paint, from nose to rear was perfectly CLEAR. PERFECTLY! I did some of the Zaino spray to give her a final glow.

Finally, on Saturday I was able to do a dawn, claybar, Z1, Z5, Z2... and the car looks like a million dollars!!!! The clarity is so noticable... and I know that shine will be there wash after wash after wash.

I guess some people have to "re-learn" the hard way.

Anyone in the Chicago area that wants my Meguiars Gold Class, Meguiars detail spray and Bottle of Zymol (each missing one application) you can have it. Just stop by.

Patrick
Old 07-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret (Patrick96LT4)

Zaino is just so easy compared to what's out there. I helped my mom do here Tahoe a month ago and she has one of those other brands and it was a PIA. It's so easy to do the Zaino thing :crazy:
Old 07-14-2002, 09:43 PM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret (Aaron71771)

Thats the main thing I love about Zaino is how easy it is to put on and take off.

Old 07-15-2002, 01:53 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret (rschiltz)

Zaino is number one in my book. :yesnod:
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I must agree that the Zaino is excellent but I must argue with the fact that it is so much easier to use than traditional waxes.
I use Zaino on all my vehicles but do detail other peoples vehicles on the side.
I use a buffer to put on cleaner wax on . Wipe off with a clean dry cloth and then Buff.
Do not find it overly difficult but do prefer Zaino. Find it leaves a deeper shine.
It is nice to do a clients car and see how beautiful it is with a coat of good wax.

My 0.02$ :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 07-15-2002, 05:52 PM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Next time you feel like throwing money away, I'll take it. :)

This thread reminds me, I have to put another coat on my GS. :)
Old 07-18-2002, 10:18 PM
GShyneDM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow

your car looks awesome!!!

i happened to have the same problem as you a long while back...

i didnt have new zaino.. so i just waxed the car... EWWWW!!!! grease spots, swirls, just horrible compared to what i was used to...

a week later my zaino arrived... immediately i washed the car with dawn... and applied some zaino.. NEVER using wax on my black babies ever again no matter HOW bad :)
Old 07-19-2002, 07:36 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Great story as I'll be out in an hour Zaino'ing my vette. BTW I sure hope Chevy sends off the C5 with a Grand Sport model. Man that might force me to re-think a C6. Sweet lookin GS.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 07-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret (AFVETTE)

welcome back to the fold...

Get notified of new replies

To My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret

Quick Reply: My BIG BIG BIG BIG secret