Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

2013 Grand Sport Chrome wheels pitting???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:01 PM
gunslinger646
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Grand Sport Chrome wheels pitting???

Howdy, Purchased my 2013 Grand Sport June of last year....Cleaned it up again yesterday with the break in the weather here in Cincinnati. Have noticed what appears to be pitting on all 4 of my wheels? Tiny pinhole spots on my wheels..you can feel it raised on the chrome. From 5 feet you cant see it...Of course it is bugging me to no end....standard Meguire
's wheel cleaner no help. Any suggestions as to what it is and how I can treat/eliminate the problem....Is this normal? Do I need a specialty product? Likely would not show up in the amateur pictures i could take....Thanks for the help!
Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

This is just a thought. You might want to take car to dealer to make sure there was not a defect with clear coat on wheels. I had a problem with a gm truck wheels pitting /blistering and there was a defect and wheels were replaced by GM. Might be worth the time to check out. Good luck
Old 02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Chrome is quite durable but once it starts pitting there is no way to repair other than re-chroming or replacement. If you cannot do either and the damage is not really that notable, then consider this as a way to try and keep them from getting worse:

1. Use Griots Chrome Wheel Cleaner
2. Polish with Chrome Polish and a Mothers Powerball
3. Seal them with Gtechnic's Wheel Armor (ceramic based coating)
4. Clean as needed with car wash soap or waterless wash type product

try and keep wheels dry whenever possible. Also clean whenever possible. Water and brake dust is usually the culprit of harmed chrome wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Grand Sport Chrome wheels pitting???

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Sport Chrome wheels pitting???