Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Aluminum Wheel touch up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 AM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Aluminum Wheel touch up?

I have an '06 coupe with factory polished aluminum wheels. I've been cleaning them for years with various brands of wheel cleaner spray. I spray it on, brush it a bit with a big soft brush, and then hose it off. That simple process has seemed to work well.

Recently, I've seen some minor pitting or corrosion in a few "corners" where the spokes meet the wheel. Nothing too noticeable, but I'd like to clean it up if it's safe to do that. I presume that my factory wheels are clear-coated. (Anybody know for sure?) I've been thinking about getting some aluminum polish, cleaning up these corners by polishing them out with a rag, then maybe "painting" some clear nail polish over the area so not to invite additional corrosion on the bare, just-cleaned aluminum.

That a good idea? Maybe better to just leave it be?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Note: I had posted this in the "Tires Wheels" general forum, with more than 100 views and zero suggestions, I'm hoping this is a better place for this sort of advice. Thanks if you can offer some.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:09 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

this may help:
http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean...at-wheels.html
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Those wheels are indeed clear coated, so you can treat them just as you would any painted surface. A metal polish won't yield you any results as they are made for raw metal.

Is it actual pitting/corrosion, or possibly just a heavy build up of brake dust? That's pretty typical in areas that you're describing that are tough to clean thoroughly.

Can you post some close up pictures?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

1. Use a good, safe wheel cleaner
2. Use a paint cleansing lotion or paint polish as needed
3. Use a ceramic based coating to protect

This is the safest, and best line of attack. There are companies that recondition wheels when the clearcoat fails.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 AM
V8lust
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks folks. And Nick, just so you know, my wheels are dirty right now and its been raining, so I can't take a picture that would show my problem.

Killrwheels, I'm unfamiliar with "ceramic based coating" -- is there a brand name for one you recall? I guess I should use one of those drill/ball things with both the paint cleansing lotion and ceramic coating?

Get notified of new replies

To Aluminum Wheel touch up?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Wheel touch up?