Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning C5 Inside Wheel Barrel

Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Cleaning C5 Inside Wheel Barrel

I am looking for suggestions on cleaning the inside wheel barrel on a C5 "wagon wheel" (unpainted "rough" aluminum) without removing the wheel. I have tried various products and types of brushes and nothing seems to fully remove the crud, brake dust, etc. The wheels are OEM with aftermarket chrome so I need a product strong enough to clean the inside without damaging the outside chrome.

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

BIGMAC, we have a kit already built for your exact situation! It includes our new Wheel Woolie and some Deep Wheel Cleaner. The cleaner will dissolve that baked-on grime and brake dust, the the Wheel Woolie will allow you to reach all the way into the barrel, and get the back of the spokes as well.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-1099-...ie-bundle.aspx
Old 07-15-2014, 08:51 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
I am looking for suggestions on cleaning the inside wheel barrel on a C5 "wagon wheel" (unpainted "rough" aluminum) without removing the wheel. I have tried various products and types of brushes and nothing seems to fully remove the crud, brake dust, etc. The wheels are OEM with aftermarket chrome so I need a product strong enough to clean the inside without damaging the outside chrome.

Thanks in advance.

BIGMAC
Have you considered a product like Iron-X or Iron-X Shampoo ??? What about a Daytona Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies ???

http://www.autogeek.net/daytona-spee...r-brushes.html
Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Thompson Racing
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Wheel Woolie is the best product on the market for wheel cleaning! I used to take my wheels off, now I can clean them on the car. The Wheel Woolie set has a small stick which will fit between the calipers and the drum. Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner works really well on brake dust and is at a new low price!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:35 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolie...ing-tools.html
Old 07-17-2014, 07:42 PM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Daytona Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies ???

I have both !!
Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag
Daytona Wheel Brush or Wheel Woolies ???

I have both !!
Guys...I appreciate the responses- but are these cleaners and brushes really strong enough to get the job done? I ended up removing the wheels and using 0000 steel wool and Mother's Aluminum polish to get the barrels clean and shiny.

BIGMAC
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Guys...I appreciate the responses- but are these cleaners and brushes really strong enough to get the job done? I ended up removing the wheels and using 0000 steel wool and Mother's Aluminum polish to get the barrels clean and shiny.

BIGMAC
My wheel woolies and Adams deep wheel cleaner do an amazing job. Now that you've removed the wheels and cleaned them, it should just be upkeep going forward. I have the wheel woolies in three sizes and the middle size is my favorite. I thought they seemed expensive when I bought them but now I think they are worth every single penny and then some as they save me a lot of time and frustration.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

BIGMAC
Now that you've got them clean and shiny, maintenance is the key so they don't get nasty anymore.

Sealing them up will help immensely. Our Quick Sealant is perfect for sealing wheels. It's an optically clear aerosol, so it's great for getting the hard-to-reach places on wheels.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

talk about protection, use a coating now that those wheel barrels are clean and well worked. I personally use this product on my Iforged Wheels and cannot say enough about it, still protecting after over a year and one application.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM
CheckeredFlag
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have a long reach brush I got from Griots, that has always tackled any tough brake dust ..

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ber+brushes.do

Spray it down with some Sonax full effect wheel cleaner, and I bet you won't have to take your wheels off to clean them again ...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
Now that you've got them clean and shiny, maintenance is the key so they don't get nasty anymore.

Sealing them up will help immensely. Our Quick Sealant is perfect for sealing wheels. It's an optically clear aerosol, so it's great for getting the hard-to-reach places on wheels.

Order placed for Deep Wheel Cleaner, Wheel Woolie, and Quick Sealant .

BIGMAC

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning C5 Inside Wheel Barrel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning C5 Inside Wheel Barrel