Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:50 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

I'm looking at several brands what's the best ??
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 536 Likes on 399 Posts

This will all depend on what the person that is replying uses.You aren't applying anything to the actual black paint,it is going on the clear topcoat.Expect ALOT of different answers on this one!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Zaino was developed for Black cars... Because black cars draw more heat, and temps can get up in the 140/150 F range on a hot day. You can actually apply Zaino in the direct sunlight on a 100+ day where the surface temperature can go north of 150F.
Its 99.9 % optically clear . It is UV stable and UV protective. it give a superior shine with little effort under any conditions. Even though I have a red car, This ability to work better than any other protectant in the direct sunlight told me it was not just another protectant, and after 55 years of detailing, It is head and shoulders above anything else I've tried. I've used hundred of products over 55 years, But I've stayed with Zaino over the last 13 years ( even with experimentation with other products during that 12 years ).. Nothing comes close. I know it sounds like a commercial, but I treat this forum like my own family, I have no affiliation with Zaino, I haven't talked with him in ten years but his products speak for themselves. Every one I know, even my neighbors have been turned on to Zaino because they see my car. I've turned strangers in a parking lot onto Zaino because my car is a mobile Billboard for these products.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jamieo
This will all depend on what the person that is replying uses.You aren't applying anything to the actual black paint,it is going on the clear topcoat.Expect ALOT of different answers on this one!
while you are correct in the protection is applied to the clear coat, there is a big difference in the surface temperature of a clear coated white car and the temperature of a clear coated black car on the same day side by side when the ambient temp is in the 95 F + range. The difference can be 30 degrees F.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

I realize there is a clearcoat over the Black paint..The "Black" waxes supposedly do a better job on a black car, as it leaves no visible white residue in swirls, pits or tiny chips.

There are many different black waxes available. I'm just wondering if one type or brand is better than another.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
I realize there is a clearcoat over the Black paint..The "Black" waxes supposedly do a better job on a black car, as it leaves no visible white residue in swirls, pits or tiny chips.

There are many different black waxes available. I'm just wondering if one type or brand is better than another.
Zaino leaves no white residue, like many products. It also does not attract dust like other waxes and protectants do.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I've use nothing but Zaino on mine for 12 years. Great polish.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

I've heard nothing but great reviews from many users about Zaino. I'm still leaning toward a dedicated Black wax because of it's ability to mask and fill some imperfections..which one? well that's the Q..

I was at the local AutoZone this AM and I see even Turtle Wax has a couple different "Black" waxes and kits. My car is clay barred and ready for a good coat (several) of SHINE.

Sounds like the BEST deal of all will be to invest in some Zaino for the heat factor (I live in HOT Las Vegas)

I'm thinking I'd like to try some Zaino after I've got my finish loaded up with the "Black" wax...

whaddya think ??

Last edited by SaxyVette; 07-22-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm using a Meguiar's wax product dedicated to dark colors. Not sure if it is called black wax or black ice, not excited enough to go look .

I don't know if it is the best, I'm in the better than nothing class of consumer, not shooting for the absolute top of the market. I buy the stuff at the auto store, and enjoy ease of use.

It is interesting stuff, in that it comes in a tube and looks like a granulated paste when it comes out. Probably incapsulated technology, it's a recent product. I suppose it comes in a tube because it dries from liquid quickly, but it separates in the tube . If you can figure out a good way to mix the stuff in a full tube, let me know.

I selected it because of the company and my car is black. I figure the chemistry must be well understood throughout the industry, and it is just a question of price point and ability to sell the product, not the quality of the product at a selected price point. Of course, give a good company more money, you get a better product. I'm ok with popular priced regular stuff that is easy to use. I hope that doesn't get me banned from here.

I like the company, just like I like the Goodyear blimp. They support a lot of car stuff, and the guy who's name is on the door sometimes shows up at car shows to give the awards for best paint. He always says you don't have to use my product to win this award, you just have to look like you do.

He once explained how to check paint, put the car between you and the sun and check for any flaws in the surface. The any flaws part is what keeps me in the casual lane when it comes to polish. Well, that and the fact that the easy polish works well enough for my needs..

I have often read that Carnuba wax works very well on dark cars, and is often selected for that reason. This info might be dated, because I get a lot of answers when I question owners at shows, but no one mentions carnuba . It could be no one has time for old school around my location, or that it is not often seen in the stores. Could be an obsolete product, or just too expensive to mass market, you tell me.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Strand thanks, that's an interesting read..my paint is chock full of imperfections so anything I use will make it better. I'll take a peek at the Meguiar's..
Old 07-22-2014, 02:58 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Lol not this again.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Zanio on a black car..
Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

I've heard nothing but great reviews from many users about Zaino. I'm still leaning toward a dedicated Black wax because of it's ability to mask and fill some imperfections..which one? well that's the Q..

I was at the local AutoZone this AM and I see even Turtle Wax has a couple different "Black" waxes and kits. My car is clay barred and ready for a good coat (several) of SHINE.

Sounds like the BEST deal of all will be to invest in some Zaino for the heat factor (I live in HOT Las Vegas)

I'm thinking I'd like to try some Zaino after I've got my finish loaded up with the "Black" wax...

whaddya think ??
I decided to reply after reading this post.

Typically, Zaino requires stripping all the old products off the car before application. It's also not proper practice to put sealants on top of other waxes. So your scenario of loading it up with silicon based products to "fill" the scratches won't work as a pre step to Zaino.

The first thing you need to do is correct the paint, then add a sealant to protect it. It can be Zaino, it can be Adam's, it can be anything really. Without a good base to start from, you aren't going to get the results you want. Your car is old (hey, so is mine!) and it's been out in the heat for a long time. If it was a new car that you just picked up, going straight to Zaino would probably give ok results. It's not new though, it needs a paint correction to get the paint looking perfect, or as perfect as it can be, before sealant is applied. This is something you can 100% do yourself, but it will take a lot of work. 6-8 hours, maybe double that for a newbie using a machine such as a porter cable or one of the units from griots garage. I personally love Menzerna products for paint correction, but Megs, Adam's, etc. all make good products. After the paint is corrected, it can then be polished and finally sealed.

Just like anything in life, a show car finish takes a lot of work. It's not something you can just do in an hour or so. And the end result is only going to be as good as the base underneath it. There are many products that'll fill imperfections, but these only last until the next wash, maybe less in the enviornment in which you live.

So in short, my advice is to correct the paint, then seal and/or wax it. Just remember, the sealant should be first. You can top it later with whatever wax you want to use if you desire. In your environment, I'd probably just stick to sealant though as any wax applied will be, most likely, short lived. My daily driver still beads nicely two months after I sealed it and it's been out in the Texas sun every day.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

Go to the zanio web site and see and read about the products that they offer. You can repair the surfface with what they offer. Fusion, scratch remover. I have no interest in zanio. It is just the best I have used in my years of cleaning and polishing cars. I can only offer you how it has worked for me. I have been using it for 16 years. Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Fcar 98; 07-22-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Sorry if this is sounding like a Commercial

Like many who swear by Zaino, we all have no affiliation with him
but facts speak for themself.
here are a few of the facts of Show car polish for clear coat.

•It is much harder than carnuba based products to resist scratches
•It is 99.9% optically clear It gives the paint much more depth
•It has a UV40 rating for sun protection
•It contains no silicone
•It contains no abrasives
•It contains no carnauba waxes
•It fills in small scratches and makes them invisible(Z5)
•It lets the true color of your paint shine though
•It dries with almost no water spots
•It forces water to collect into large droplets and just roll off the car
•It has anti static properties and will collect 60% less dust than with carnauba waxes

here is a photo of a 20 year old 1993 Black RX7 with original paint using Zaino

Old 07-22-2014, 06:17 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

SaxyVette,

You can read and make your own decisions, but personally, I'm always wary of people who state over and over they have no affiliation with a particular product, then go out of their way to push it like a Kia salesperson.

While the above qualities are true of Zaino, they are also true for just about any sealant out there. They will all fill light imperfections, but if you really want a glass like finish, prepping the paint properly is the only way to go. True professionals polish like they do for a reason; and it's not because they enjoy wasting eight hours of their time per vehicle.

I was pretty big into Zaino several years back until I got into machine polishing. The results of actual paint correction really do speak for themselves.

If you do all your research, and still want to try out Zaino. Let me know. I have some leftover bottles of Z2 and Z5 along with the activator in my storage room you can have. I've actually been thinking of tossing them since I have no use for them and have moved on to better things. The only drawback is that they were originally purchased in 2006 or so and I'm not sure of the shelf life of the stuff.

Last edited by Black 02; 07-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ZAINO!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"

Old 07-22-2014, 06:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I used Zaino for quite a while, but got a free sample of Surf City Garage's 2 step product called 'Nano Seal and Nano Glaze', as well as some of their spray detailer. I liked it very much, and have been using these products for the last 3 years.....and I have 5 black cars in the family fleet.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:15 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truth of the matter is 90% + of your finished result has very little to do with your choice of wax. Its the prep work that actually dictates how your paint will look, the last coating of wax, sealant, or whatever you prefer is only going to enhance whats already there.

Spread the worlds most expensive wax over poorly prepped paint and you'll get poor results.

Spread cheap wax over well prepped paint and the paint will look fantastic.

1) Proper decontamination (clay, clay media, decon sprays)
2) Paint correction to remove swirls and scratches.
3) Polishing to refine the finish and bring out the gloss.

Those 3 things will have more to do with your finished product than any wax could possibly.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I'm looking at several brands what's the best ??
The best is subjective. It is whatever product gives you the most satisfaction. There is no right answer since each person might be looking to achieve different objective in using the product.

There are great products out there which have already been mentioned.
I use Chadwick's Triple Play because I like how easy it is to apply and the great shine.

Quick Reply: Black 'Vette owners what's the best "Black Wax"