Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Holograms in new clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Holograms in new clear coat

Hi guys, never been to this part of the forum before but I have a paint issue ('66 black coupe) so I thought I'd pick your brains.
I had local body shop do some paint repairs and then clear coat the car. While the repairs look great and the clear coat is shiny there's holograms galore! I didn't see them when I picked up the car, late in the day and it was parked in the shop, till I got home.
Anyway, I'm sure it can be fixed but would like advise on what to say to the shop owner when I bring it back to him on Monday.
I've heard that many body shops aren't the best when it comes to buffing so, while I'll still bring it in to see what he says, I'm tempted to use a good detailer instead of having it fixed there. What do you think I should do?
BTW, does anyone have a recommendation for a good detailer in the Sacramento/Elk Grove area? Thanks in advance.

Gary

Last edited by Gary's '66; 08-30-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:57 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary's '66
I'm tempted to use a good detailer instead of having it fixed there.

A good detailer will be able to correct the issue. The body shop wet sanded the clear coat then uses a high speed rotary buffer to remove the scratches. Few body shops will proceed to the next step to remove the holograms and swirl marks. Again, any good detailer will be able to fix it.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maligator

A good detailer will be able to correct the issue. The body shop wet sanded the clear coat then uses a high speed rotary buffer to remove the scratches. Few body shops will proceed to the next step to remove the holograms and swirl marks. Again, any good detailer will be able to fix it.

If this is something out of your element, I would definitely research the name of a reputable detailer in your area to help resolve the situation.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:12 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the replies and yes, this is definitely out of my element. Mechanical issues are one thing but I don't trust myself to tackle this job at all! I'll check around but again, if someone can steer me to a good referral in the Sacto. area I'd appreciate it.

Gary
Old 08-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for the replies and yes, this is definitely out of my element. Mechanical issues are one thing but I don't trust myself to tackle this job at all! I'll check around but again, if someone can steer me to a good referral in the Sacto. area I'd appreciate it.

Gary
A good detailer will have the proper products, machine and most of all, knowledge to how to "correct" your paint. Id go on Adams Polishes Forum; there someone will point you in the right direction to help you out in your area.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

How much did you pay for the paint repairs and clear coat…..?

If that number was large, I'd bring it right back to the shop and tell them that this job is not acceptable work and you expected more professional results….

Tell them to get it detailed right, zero swirl marks or fork back enough money for you to get the job done somewhere else…..

Don't settle for lazy people working on your car…..
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dave1
How much did you pay for the paint repairs and clear coat…..?

If that number was large, I'd bring it right back to the shop and tell them that this job is not acceptable work and you expected more professional results….

Tell them to get it detailed right, zero swirl marks or fork back enough money for you to get the job done somewhere else…..

Don't settle for lazy people working on your car…..
Paid $1600.00 to have 5 painted areas repaired including a hole about the size of a dime glassed in where someone put a barrel key lock for an alarm (the crap they did in the 80's ) then he cleared from about midway up, using the body lines, over the fenders, rear deck, hood and roof which I thought was a fair price. It all looks pretty decent with the exception of the holograms.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:53 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can easily correct this yourself with a dual action polisher such as the porter cable 7424, some CCS pads and menzerna polish.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1BAD-LS1
You can easily correct this yourself with a dual action polisher such as the porter cable 7424, some CCS pads and menzerna polish.
I'm sure you're probably right, as I've done some research on the Auto Geek website. From what I've read and seen on videos I understand the PC 7424 is easy to handle and very forgiving but I have to say that I'm still somewhat intimidated.

The main thing is that always overwhelms me is when I start looking at which products and pads to use as I don't know squat about auto paint polishing.

For instance, what exactly are these CCS pads and the menzerna polish you mention? This is where I get most confused. Do I need different types (grades) of these pads? Are there different steps to, and grades of, the polish?

Gary
Old 09-02-2014, 03:42 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Hey Gary,

The PC is a nice, affordable entry-level polisher, for sure.

If you end up grabbing one of those from somewhere like Amazon for around $100, you can grab this kit from us that will work with it to correct the holograms:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-738-a...shing-kit.aspx

The pads are color-matched to the polishes, so it's a painless process to get your paint perfect!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi guys,

First, I'd like to thank everyone for they're input and replies. Second, I thought I'd give you an update along with another question. The update is that the body shop was very cool about rebuffing the car and it looks soooo much better, special thanks to Dave1 for the PM.
Now the body shop said to wait a month before waxing which I had planned on doing but since I've been using Zaino I thought I'd send an email just to see what they recommend as far as a prep wash because they usually say to use Dawn dishwashing liquid soap to remove old waxes.
So here's my question, today I received a reply from Sal Zaino who did recommend a first time wash with using Dawn BUT said he wouldn't wait any longer than "1 week" since the clear coat should be cured by then and Zaino contains no waxes, silicones or abrasives. So now I'm a bit confused as who to listen to. What do you guys recommend?

Gary
Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

In order to keep swirls and marring to a minimum, study good washing and drying techniques first. (see our how-to area at www.autogeekonline.net ) Trust me ....it saves a lot of time and effort down the road.

I do not recommend Dawn wash in car care. Likely Sal is suggesting it to remove any/all remaining polishing agents and oil from finish to start with a fresh finish. If the body shop did NOT wax the car, then you really don't have any wax to remove. You can wash properly, wipe down with iso alcohol/water mix and apply the sealant of your choice.

Generally it is recommended to wait up to 30 days when a body shop cannot high bake a new finish and is allowing time to cure completely. Unfortunately like most things, there is nothing written in stone as to this general rule. I would personally refrain from high solvents, abrasives and other harsh chemicals initially.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Gary's '66
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Nick@Adams
Hey Gary,

The PC is a nice, affordable entry-level polisher, for sure.

If you end up grabbing one of those from somewhere like Amazon for around $100, you can grab this kit from us that will work with it to correct the holograms:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-738-a...shing-kit.aspx

The pads are color-matched to the polishes, so it's a painless process to get your paint perfect!
Thanks for the info. I really like the color matched pad to polish idea. I can see where would remove a lot of the confusion of what pad to use with what polish for the rookie (me)
Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

So here's my question, today I received a reply from Sal Zaino who did recommend a first time wash with using Dawn BUT said he wouldn't wait any longer than "1 week" since the clear coat should be cured by then and Zaino contains no waxes, silicones or abrasives.

So now I'm a bit confused as who to listen to. What do you guys recommend?

Gary
Sal has been a paint expert for many years. His advice is better than most others…

I've been using Z2pro, Zaino clear seal and Z-8 for years after a full polish and that combo is king of the hill for my cars….

Durability being the main factor….

Get notified of new replies

To Holograms in new clear coat

Quick Reply: Holograms in new clear coat