Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Seeking advice - 2009 Z06 - been resting for 1 year

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Peddlerpug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice - 2009 Z06 - been resting for 1 year

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums so hello! Glad to be hear.

As I mention in the title, I own a 2009 Z06 that has been resting without an engine turnover for a little over 1 year.

Unfortunately I've been dealing with some life issues and the Vette fell to the bottom of the priority list. With that said, it's now time to dust her off and fire her up again.

I wanted to ask if there are any recommended steps to take before I turn over the engine as it has been sitting for a very long time.

My z is just under 9,000kil and prior to the last year was serviced annually at the dealer. 94 octane Chevron gas with near full tank when I last left it.

Some have told me I can just turn it on and there will be no problems. Wanted to ask some other Vette owners to make sure that the right thing to do.

Thank you for any suggestions or recommendations.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:51 AM
1BAD-LS1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the oil, make sure the battery is charged and start her up. After warm up take a nice drive, be sure to check tire pressures first. My 2001 sits for long periods, I use Stabil in the fuel and a battery tender.

Originally Posted by Peddlerpug
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums so hello! Glad to be hear.

As I mention in the title, I own a 2009 Z06 that has been resting without an engine turnover for a little over 1 year.

Unfortunately I've been dealing with some life issues and the Vette fell to the bottom of the priority list. With that said, it's now time to dust her off and fire her up again.

I wanted to ask if there are any recommended steps to take before I turn over the engine as it has been sitting for a very long time.

My z is just under 9,000kil and prior to the last year was serviced annually at the dealer. 94 octane Chevron gas with near full tank when I last left it.

Some have told me I can just turn it on and there will be no problems. Wanted to ask some other Vette owners to make sure that the right thing to do.

Thank you for any suggestions or recommendations.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

If you floor the accelerator while pressing the start button, the engine will crank but won't start. It's a good way to circulate the oil to all parts of the engine before it actually fires off. This is true with LS3; I think the Z06 is the same.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As long as you had oil in the car and the battery has enough power to turn it over, you should be able to warm it up. I might suggest doing an oil change quickly (filters often go bad faster than oil, and suggested being replaced annually). I would suspect there is some moisture and water in fuel. A fuel stablilizer/remover would be a good choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Seeking advice - 2009 Z06 - been resting for 1 year

Quick Reply: Seeking advice - 2009 Z06 - been resting for 1 year