Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do you remove window film tint.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM
bada
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How do you remove window film tint.

What is the best way to remove window tint. I just got a GMC & someone put a light tint on the front window. It has a few bad scratches in it already. I would like to remove it. What is the best way?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Mysticine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is the best way; I've never removed tint from the windshield before (only done side and rear windows). I've always just used windex w/ ammonia and a razor blade. Keep the area you're working wet and use the blade against the tint to continuously get under the tint and peel back. It will be tedious, and you will find a lot of the adhesive film left behind - which you'll likely use more windex and the razor blade to fully remove.

I've also heard that using a steamer works great, but I have never personally used one.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:55 PM
slapshot12
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Peel the tint off, the glue will be left behind. I've always used the spray can window cleaner with ammonia that foams. The foam keeps it on the surface longer and breaks up the glue easier. Soak the glue with window cleaner and let it soak. I usually do this a couple times. On a windshield or side window with no built in antenna or defogger, a scraping off the glue with a razor blade works just fine. On rear windows with a defogger, use very fine steel wool.

Like mystic said, keep the glue wet. It will come off easier and won't make as much of a mess. I'd put a towel or newspaper on the dash too to make final clean up a bit easier.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I have removed tint before. It is easy with a hair dryer, a razor and some goo gone.

You basically want to heat up the tint starting at one corner, use the razor blade to lift up the corner and the slowing peel away the tint.

After that, use some goo gone to remove left over glue on the window.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There are a couple of window tint glue removers on the market. I have also heard that heat is indeed a benefit.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Go to Walmart and get a $30.00 fabric steamer. Warm up the steamer and once it starts steaming start pressing it against a corner of the tint and moving it back and forth. The tint will start to separate from the window. Grab the corner of the tint and pull up lightly and continue to move the steamer back and forth in front of the area that comes up. The tint will come off in one piece, leaving almost zero residue. Takes about five minutes per large window.

There is no easier method. I hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Use the steamer and take slow so all of the adhesive comes with the film as you peel it away.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:42 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
Go to Walmart and get a $30.00 fabric steamer. Warm up the steamer and once it starts steaming start pressing it against a corner of the tint and moving it back and forth. The tint will start to separate from the window. Grab the corner of the tint and pull up lightly and continue to move the steamer back and forth in front of the area that comes up. The tint will come off in one piece, leaving almost zero residue. Takes about five minutes per large window.

There is no easier method. I hope this helps.
also, In my detailing shop we use the steamer all the time to pull tint. Not messy, and works great. Plus you would be amazed at how many things you can use a steamer for once you have it.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
also, In my detailing shop we use the steamer all the time to pull tint. Not messy, and works great. Plus you would be amazed at how many things you can use a steamer for once you have it.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it true that a steamer will greatly reduce wrinkles in leather seats?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:39 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by jjaaam
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is it true that a steamer will greatly reduce wrinkles in leather seats?
Depends, I tried it on my C5/C6 and it simply did not work. They were wrinkled/cracked enough that I doubt nothing would have worked. The Corvette seats, as with most cars from the 90's and on are a clear coated leather and simply don't respond to what real leather will do.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove window film tint.

Quick Reply: How do you remove window film tint.