Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

100% Carnauba & Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 100% Carnauba & Sealant

OK, I'm confused by the Web, some say, Wax on Sealant and others say Sealant on Wax? I'm heading to Funfest on Saturday so I want to prep and wax the car by Friday evening, I have all the Zaino prep stuff and clay bars etc.

The Wax I can use that I have in supply is Pinnacle P21S 100% Carnauba Paste Wax and BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste Wax on hand,,,,,

I would like to use the Klasse High Gloss sealant but I can not get it in my hands by Friday without paying stupid crazy shipping charges, so I guess I will seal it with the Zaino Grand Finale Spray Seal either before or after?

My car is Daytona Sunset Orange.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
yamabob
Drifting

Received 743 Likes on 471 Posts

it's always sealant than wax. the sealant will 'bond' to the paint but not the wax. don't be fooled by labeling on some products. No wax is 100% carnuba. In it's natural state carnuba is rock hard. I t needs to have carriers to keep it in suspension.What that generally means is that of the percentage of wax-all of it is carnuba ( instead of being mixed with Montan-beeswax amongst others).
The Midnight Sun is a hybrid wax. It has been mixed with polymer for a unique look and to help it bond with Wet Diamond Polymer Sealant ( a particularly great combination).
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... with very few exceptions, it should always be sealant first / then wax on top if using both types of products.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM
LD85
Race Director

Awesome, thanks for the education, I have never had a Corvette that wax mattered, my 85 had the Factory White and although it looked better after a clean and wax, it was nothing like the Sunset Orange or Black etc.

I will do sealant then Pinnacle 21s
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM
yamabob
Drifting

keep in mind that the best wax/sealant will enchance the look but is not the key. their biggest function is protection. the keep is properly prepped paint. it's a great idea to start with an APC and clay the car to remove any surface contaminants.. if needed ( imo it always improves the gloss) is a polish. this is what brings out the gloss. there are many products to achieve various levels depending upon condition. too lengthy to go into but i strongly suggest you check out one of the detail forums ( auto geek to start). tons of useful info. before apply your sealant you want the paint as clean as possible for the best bond. a 50/50 wipedown with distilled water and alcohol on clean qaulity microfiber towels works wonders. proper paint care can seem intimidating but actually is not in the least. here is one area where quality does matter.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 PM
LD85
Race Director

Last question, I have a Porter Cable 7424 DA and several color of the foam pads, can I apply the Carnauba with the PC/DA? or should I go manual by hand?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 AM
yamabob
Drifting

without knowing which brand of pads you have iu can't help with the color choice. on the PC7424 i would strongly recommend a 5' backing plate as the 6" is too much pad for the pc to maintain good RO rotation. after several brands i myself stick with the Lake Country smart pads. When apply sealants/wax's I find machine application superior. You want to apply in a thin even layer and the machine will help achieve this best. of the pads i use a red pad for this. When polishing a combo of pad and product is used to achieve desired results depending upon several factors ( paint condition-thickness-hardness etc.) Don't be afraid to ask anything you are not sure of. you will find plenty of info-answers and choices. what works for me may not be best for you.i sometimes see advice given on polishing and someone says they use Meg's and someone else has Menzerna and goes to town doing it the way the Megs guy said. In this case they use different technologies ( megs being a SMAT and Menzerna being a DA polish-i would treat them slightly differently) point being try to use what works with the type of product you have or are getting
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 AM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by yamabob
without knowing which brand of pads you have iu can't help with the color choice. on the PC7424 i would strongly recommend a 5' backing plate as the 6" is too much pad for the pc to maintain good RO rotation. after several brands i myself stick with the Lake Country smart pads. When apply sealants/wax's I find machine application superior. You want to apply in a thin even layer and the machine will help achieve this best. of the pads i use a red pad for this. When polishing a combo of pad and product is used to achieve desired results depending upon several factors ( paint condition-thickness-hardness etc.) Don't be afraid to ask anything you are not sure of. you will find plenty of info-answers and choices. what works for me may not be best for you.i sometimes see advice given on polishing and someone says they use Meg's and someone else has Menzerna and goes to town doing it the way the Megs guy said. In this case they use different technologies ( megs being a SMAT and Menzerna being a DA polish-i would treat them slightly differently) point being try to use what works with the type of product you have or are getting

I will check my pad size this eve, I have several colors of Lake city pads, grey white orange blue
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM
yamabob
Drifting

Of those i would use the blue as it's the softest. orange/white is great for polish, i'll use the grey ( looks black to me) for further refinement polishing ( also the blue with menzerna 4500)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Pinnacle and P21S are two different brands.
I know pinnacle is popular but I've never used it.
That's because the second I used P21S I was addicted!
It has a high Carnuba percentage but as mentioned all wax is mixed.
The P21S Concours Carnuba has other waxes in it, like bees wax etc. The stuff is amazing.

They do make a 100% Carnuba wax. All of the wax in that is Carnuba, no bees wax, no synthetic wax etc, but it obviously has other products to make it into a paste wax.

Both are great. I'd just prep the car and put the P21S on her. It will be amazing.

You only need the sealant if you feel the car may need more protection or go longer between details. The car will look its best with just the wax. I'd go that way unless it's a full time driver.

I think wax is best applied by hand, thin as possible and rubbed in, buffed off by hand with a nice microfiber. It is ridiculously easy with P21S. It is part of the pleasure of owning a nice car, a hand waxed finish.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 12zo; 09-17-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 09-17-2014, 11:21 AM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yamabob
Of those i would use the blue as it's the softest. orange/white is great for polish, i'll use the grey ( looks black to me) for further refinement polishing ( also the blue with menzerna 4500)
Thats assuming its the open cell blue - the prepolymer blue from the hydrotech pad line from LC is actually a coarse, heavy cutting/compounding pad.

Colors are not always a 100% accurate representation of what type of pad it is. Theres a lot of overlap from brand to brand, and line to line.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Machine polish the whole car first, get the paint right bright and clean to begin with and it doesn't matter if you use a wax or a sealant at that point….

The real shine is in prepping the paint as yamabob mentioned earlier, not the products you top it with….

Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 AM
yamabob
Drifting

correct! i would have been better served just saying flat pad- but as far as i'm aware the hydro-tech is it's own line and the flat and ccs follow the same color scheme as for density. but the point you make is an important one( i did make reference to which pad i use earlier though
Old 09-17-2014, 04:55 PM
LD85
Race Director

My bad on calling the P21s Pinnacle ,I thought that it was a Pinnacle product, everything came from AutoGeek

Anyway, I have clay bars, clay bar spray, palmolive for sttripping and Zaino Car was lotion for the prep with the stuff in the pic which lists 5-1/2" pads. All of the pads are flat and I wont be able to get waffle pads by Friday unfortunately

Last edited by LD85; 09-17-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:16 PM
yamabob
Drifting

you don't need waffle pads. in lieu of the palmolive get some apc like ZEP Citrus . Much better than dish soap at stripping. Pinnacle is an Auto Geek house label. Most popular in that line is probably Souveran which does add a great shine but lacks somewhat in the durabilty department ( Killrwheels but better quantify this)
Old 09-17-2014, 05:33 PM
LD85
Race Director

This stuff from Home Depot?

Also, I have 2 big bags of brand new microfiber and 1 bag of White very soft polishing cloths, not sure which brand, but softer than a diaper, sory of furry

Last edited by LD85; 09-17-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM
LD85
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave1
Machine polish the whole car first, get the paint right bright and clean to begin with and it doesn't matter if you use a wax or a sealant at that point….

The real shine is in prepping the paint as yamabob mentioned earlier, not the products you top it with….

I have Zaino Z2 pro car polish polish if you mean to start with that and I have Z5 for swirls but I do not have any swirls and If I do here are very few, you have to look for them

Get notified of new replies

To 100% Carnauba & Sealant

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Indeed you want to apply a sealant prior to a traditional 'nuba wax with no cleaners. Both the Blackfire and the P21S are perfect toppers over Klasse SG.

Now as far as applying a sealant or wax with a buffer, yes it can be done. I don't think you will see any benefit when using it with a paste wax. Just remember than thin is the correct way to apply any car product, more is not better just harder to remove. If you choose to remove the product with a buffer, consider using some MF bonnets.

Pinnacle is indeed one of our brands (so is DP, Blackfire, Wolfgang, and Diamonite)and all lines offer some of the best products in car care. That's why the "others" always measure their newest offering against ours .... its quite flattering. Souveran Paste is the defacto in "nuba waxes and looks like Estate Waxes selling for hundreds to thousands of dollars. It should be used with the soap and spray wax within the line for best durability. This is actual quite common, as most products within a specific line are designed to work together in unison.

Let me end by saying that there are currently three spray products that everyone might want to try, based upon the product used. You can send me praise later, but here's to making things easy after each or any car wash and always looking hot... hot...hot !!

coatings = Carpro Reload
sealants = Prima Hydro Max Polymer Spray
waxes = Optimum Spray Wax
Old 09-17-2014, 07:01 PM
LD85
Race Director

Thanks, I wanted to use the Klassee but could not get it to Indianapolis by Friday.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by LD85
Thanks, I wanted to use the Klassee but could not get it to Indianapolis by Friday.
If you need something quick, please call as we offer many shipping options and carriers too. Unfortunately the cost may prohibitive for one item. Hopefully someone local can trade or let you use some of theirs

Quick Reply: 100% Carnauba & Sealant