Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

The First Bath

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The First Bath

Been enjoying the car since purchase last week, finally time for that first bath...

All tucked away until I can claybar the poor thing:

More paint issues than I expected based on my inspection upon pick up, but there had to be 15 layers of cheap wax on the dang thing .

I'll hopefully get it clayed this week so I can start correction.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

This was the first time I've used the leaf blower to dry. I was very skeptical, and felt it wasn't doing much as I was blowing (besides the top and windows, they were perfect after just the blower) but I dried the entire thing with one 24x24 inch microfiber cloth and the car was streak free, too.

Ideal weather helped (65 no direct sun) but it seemed to be a nice easy wash to start out with.

Anyone else get a bevy of fine gravel in the gap between the lower rocker and rear fender (right in front of the rear wheel)?? Seemed like fine gravel poured out of both sides for a few minutes while I hosed it out...

Started in on the wifes car and realized I would run out of daylight before I got that whale clean... Tomorrow is another day.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Busy busy...

Nice Corvette.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

We all get the gravel down there. I took off the two small screws at the fender, pulled it away from the liner and put some two side weatherstip tape in there. Bought it at Home Depot. No more gravel
Old 09-17-2014, 03:55 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
We all get the gravel down there. I took off the two small screws at the fender, pulled it away from the liner and put some two side weatherstip tape in there. Bought it at Home Depot. No more gravel
Good tip, thanks man! Wasn't sure if this thing had been bombing down gravel roads or if it was just 'normal'

Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Sweet Vette and Cherokee .... thinking of getting wife the same truck or the Infiniti. Any thoughts ????

Hope to see you around and look to Autogeek for all your car care needs. A leaf blower is great and reduces rubbing on paint. With a good wax or sealant the water should just blow right off !
Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Sweet Vette and Cherokee .... thinking of getting wife the same truck or the Infiniti. Any thoughts ????

Hope to see you around and look to Autogeek for all your car care needs. A leaf blower is great and reduces rubbing on paint. With a good wax or sealant the water should just blow right off !
Just put in an order and got registered at your forums..

We opted for the GC Diesel, we do not regret it, that's for sure.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:27 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

All clayed- cleaner than I imagined but plenty of damage to attempt to correct...

Example:

First pass with a decent strength pad and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing didn't touch it, and my Pinnacle swirl remove had cracked (the bottle) and dried out. So I await compound to continue further.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by iced98lx
All clayed- cleaner than I imagined but plenty of damage to attempt to correct...

Example:

First pass with a decent strength pad and Pinnacle Advanced Finishing didn't touch it, and my Pinnacle swirl remove had cracked (the bottle) and dried out. So I await compound to continue further.
sorry to hear about the polish drying up .... gotta admit I would be using Menzerna (SIP and 085rd) or Wolfgang (TSR and FG) on that finish. You will be amazed at them on a Vettes finish.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
sorry to hear about the polish drying up .... gotta admit I would be using Menzerna (SIP and 085rd) or Wolfgang (TSR and FG) on that finish. You will be amazed at them on a Vettes finish.
Interesting. I ordered SFX-2 and SFX-3 to try out. I guess if it doesn't get the results I want I'll go back and order Menzerna..
Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by iced98lx
Interesting. I ordered SFX-2 and SFX-3 to try out. I guess if it doesn't get the results I want I'll go back and order Menzerna..
nice choice also .... I am preferential to Menzerna personally. But don't let that hamper your choice. I hope to see and hear your results soon.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM
groundskeeper willie
Intermediate

thats screaming for menz fg 400
Old 09-22-2014, 10:42 AM
iced98lx
Drifting

well cripes you guys, I should have made a 'what compound would you use' thread first I guess..

We'll see how the SFX-2 performs here, and if I'm not happy I will just make another order.

Get notified of new replies

To The First Bath

Quick Reply: The First Bath