Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Need to Remove some Carnuba

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Need to Remove some Carnuba

I had to have my roof color sanded and paint corrected. My guy did not want to place sealer for a couple of weeks for some paint curing reason. So he would only put carnuba on it temporarily. So now I want to remove the carnuba so I can put a couple of coats of Rejects as I just did to the rest of the car.

The paint is clean and polished. So can I just use alcohol or something else to gently remove the wax. If so Isopropol/rubbing alcohol?

DH
Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I had to have my roof color sanded and paint corrected. My guy did not want to place sealer for a couple of weeks for some paint curing reason. So he would only put carnuba on it temporarily. So now I want to remove the carnuba so I can put a couple of coats of Rejects as I just did to the rest of the car.

The paint is clean and polished. So can I just use alcohol or something else to gently remove the wax. If so Isopropol/rubbing alcohol?

DH
Ive been told 50/50 H20-alcohol is ok; or dawn dish detergent per zaino will strip wax as well.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:57 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Try Dawn .it removes wax

Clif
Old 09-20-2014, 08:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Thanks guys. I don't want to have to wash the car. Just get the wax off the roof panel without making a mess.

DH
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could also go to an auto parts store and get something along the lines of Prepsol or something similar. This type of thing is used as a wipe down before a painting process to remove any waxes or oils. You could probably also use an alcohol/water mix. But not sure of the ratio. I bet if you go over to the detail forum at Autogeek you will find some useful info.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cegusa
You could also go to an auto parts store and get something along the lines of Prepsol or something similar. This type of thing is used as a wipe down before a painting process to remove any waxes or oils. You could probably also use an alcohol/water mix. But not sure of the ratio. I bet if you go over to the detail forum at Autogeek you will find some useful info.
Thanks

DH
Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

There are indeed several products that can strip wax (3M Wax Remover / Prepsol / Acysol). You can also use a paint cleansing lotion, like Pinnacles Paintwork lotion. Often times a mixture of iso. alcohol /water will indeed also remove waxes. You are correct in making sure the paint is as ready for a sealant as possible, for long term bonding.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
There are indeed several products that can strip wax (3M Wax Remover / Prepsol / Acysol). You can also use a paint cleansing lotion, like Pinnacles Paintwork lotion. Often times a mixture of iso. alcohol /water will indeed also remove waxes. You are correct in making sure the paint is as ready for a sealant as possible, for long term bonding.
Thanks

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Need to Remove some Carnuba

Quick Reply: Need to Remove some Carnuba