Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do you personally keep your wheels so clean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
the only difference is the type of polishes used ... metal polishes on uncoated wheels and paint polishes on clear-coated wheels.
They seemed to think that the wheels were clear-coated and that the blemishes are in the clear coat. If so, what would you recommend to try to get them out?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:49 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
They seemed to think that the wheels were clear-coated and that the blemishes are in the clear coat. If so, what would you recommend to try to get them out?
The same rules apply as with paint, if you can feel them then you cannot remove them, you would need to have them professionally repaired. If you cannot feel them, you can try to use some paint polishes to polish those areas. The clearcoat used on wheels is much thicker than traditional paint and often has a bit of a milky appearance when clean. --unfortunately its nature of the product used.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:19 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I wipe my chrome wheels off every time I drive the car. The only thing I use is a microfiber towel dampened with water. I pull the wheels off and clean the barrels several times during the summer. I use DP Wheel Glaze on them as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:16 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

those wheels look HOT HOT HOT !!!!
Old 11-09-2014, 10:02 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I hand wash my wheels every time I wash my car. I normally wash my car once per week.

Below are the steps I use in washing my painted wheels.
1. Rinse the wheels with water.

2. I mix up a 5 gallon bucket of water and car shampoo. I use the same car shampoo on my wheels that I use on my car (normally Adam's but sometimes Meguiars Gold Class). I wash the barrels of the wheels by dipping a Daytona speed brush in the bucket and working a quarter section of the wheel barrel at a time. I rinse the speed brush after each quarter section and before dipping back into the soapy solution. (I normally use the same 5 gallon bucket of shampoo solution that I used to wash the car previously. By always rinsing the mitts before dipping into the bucket, that shampoo remains clean. This method saves water and shampoo. I do pour the shampoo solution I used to clean the wheels into the grass in my yard.)

3. After cleaning the wheel barrels with the speed brush, I use dip a
micro fiber hand mitt in the solution and go back over the wheel barrels. I then rinse the mitt prior to dipping the mitt back into the
bucket and moving on to the next step.

4. I wash the spokes of the wheel with a clean micro fiber wash mitt after dipping it into the soapy water. I wash a quarter section of the wheel spokes, and spray the mitt with the garden hose to clean the mitt prior to dipping it back into the soapy solution and cleaning the next quarter section of the wheel spokes.

5. I clean the lug nuts with a cleaning tool I bought on line.

6. After washing and drying the car, I go back over the wheels with a clean micro fiber towel. I spray a little detail spray on the towel and hand wipe the wheel barrels and spokes. Do not spray the detail spray on the wheels. Only spray it onto the towels.

It takes me about 15 minutes to wash the wheels and about 5 minutes to wipe them down with a microfiber towel and detail spray.

My Vette is a daily driver and my wheels almost always look very clean.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Mojo'99
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
So I brought my car to a tire store to have them put Hankooks on the car and to my great surprise they insisted that my wheels are NOT chrome -- they are polished aluminum, and they said that the marring could be buffed out. Does the fact that the wheels are aluminum change the picture? They suggested using a drill with some sort of buffing implement, but I didn't follow them on that. They recommended using Wenol, which I had never heard of. Suggestions? Feedback?
Wet sand with 2000 grit - then again with 3000 on a rounded rubber sanding block. Soak paper overnight b/4 using. Spray bottle with water
keeps area wet while working.
Wenol, Mothers Alum Polish or my favorite, Flitz - next with a Wool/nylon buffing pad and a orbital polisher.
Lots of elbow grease next with microfiber towels until the black stops coming off.
Finish the job with a coat of Rejex.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo'99
Wet sand with 2000 grit - then again with 3000 on a rounded rubber sanding block. Soak paper overnight b/4 using. Spray bottle with water
keeps area wet while working.
Wenol, Mothers Alum Polish or my favorite, Flitz - next with a Wool/nylon buffing pad and a orbital polisher.
Lots of elbow grease next with microfiber towels until the black stops coming off.
Finish the job with a coat of Rejex.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work, but it should do the job. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: How do you personally keep your wheels so clean?