Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What is this????

Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default What is this????

Can anyone tell me what these white patches are and how to get rid of them? They are on the doors and dash.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:43 PM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like some sort of mildew to me.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Do you rest your bare arm on the door panel

DH
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like water or salt. Possilby from sweat? Like the post above it is from your arm? I would try a leather cleaner conditioner.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:08 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some sort of build up, try a leather cleaner and boars hair brush, should come off easy.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suspect a buildup from a cleaner or dressing you've used in the past - I certainly hope its not mildew, but thats also a possibility if the car sits unused for long periods of time.

If the latter is true and you suspect mildew it can be a problem made worse by lanolin based interior products. Mildew and mold can feed on the lanolin (animal fat) in some leather or interior products.

A thorough cleaning should remedy it. I'd maybe add a few drops of an antibacterial soap to some warm water and use that to clean first, just to be safe. Then follow with a quality automotive interior product.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

A lot of early C6 model owners know of this issue, and commonly call it whiting. Essentially the products used to make the interior parts are prone to looking white when not being taken care of properly or matched with the wrong interior product. I don't know of anyone that has figured out what exactly causes it, nor why it shows up with only certain products.

What I can offer is it is usually very easy to remove and remedy. The first is to clean the area with a damp towel with some APC on it. (following the directions in your manual). I then suggest using a good quality water based protectant like 303 Protectant. I use a product from Ultima, an interior sealant, and have never had the same issue with my Vettes.

In your pics some of the discolored area's seem to be around corners , seams, and edges. This is often also common of over application in chemicals and allowing that over application to stay and dry. As with any product you should buff off any excess and use careful around those areas. I have seen products essentially foam when applied to thick, and this will cause marks like those in pics if not buffed/removed before drying.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Gotta keep up with the interior detailing!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deoderant
Old 10-20-2014, 09:24 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
A lot of early C6 model owners know of this issue, and commonly call it whiting. Essentially the products used to make the interior parts are prone to looking white when not being taken care of properly or matched with the wrong interior product. I don't know of anyone that has figured out what exactly causes it, nor why it shows up with only certain products.

What I can offer is it is usually very easy to remove and remedy. The first is to clean the area with a damp towel with some APC on it. (following the directions in your manual). I then suggest using a good quality water based protectant like 303 Protectant. I use a product from Ultima, an interior sealant, and have never had the same issue with my Vettes.

In your pics some of the discolored area's seem to be around corners , seams, and edges. This is often also common of over application in chemicals and allowing that over application to stay and dry. As with any product you should buff off any excess and use careful around those areas. I have seen products essentially foam when applied to thick, and this will cause marks like those in pics if not buffed/removed before drying.
A lot of owners have experienced this. You can do a search over in C6 Gen and find a lot of threads about it.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this????