Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

so this might be the craziest thing posted here in a while but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:58 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Default This might be the craziest thing posted here in a while but (updated with results!)

Update: Scroll down for pics/video results

I just moved into a new place and immediately went to seal my counter tops. I got the sealer from Amazon after reading a few reviews and went to town. Result is great.

It reminded me a lot of the synthetic sealer I used on my car (GTechniq). Not a little- a lot. It looked, felt and acted the same. The directions for applications were almost the same and it required a good 24 hours to fully cure, too. And when you left too much on without buffing it (you wouldn't do that with counter tops), it looked the same. I take that back; it wasn't the "same." It was indistinguishable.

I have these stainless bowls for sinks (they look like mixing bowls on top a piece of glass). Naturally, they have "swirl marks" from being used. Water catches on them and leaves that hard water crap behind. The sinks look great.... until you use them once after cleaning them.

So I started thinking. I wonder if beads off water the same. I taped off half and applied the sealant and holy crap, it beaded off just like water did on my car with the sealant.

I'm going to talk to a body shop buddy of mine and have him give me a section of something that was painted (or a garbage body panel) and I'm going to try applying it to see what happens.

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-16-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Removed link to non-supporting vendor
Old 10-08-2014, 09:51 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is how Thomas Edison got started. Forge ahead!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Vette CA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to cast doubt but I think the lacquer-acrylic paint will suffocate and eventually damage if a solid sealer is applied. Hence why wax is the primary protection on offer for automotive finishes.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM
awschucks
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Did it work?

Did you try it out on some panels?
Old 10-10-2014, 09:08 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

No, didn't try it yet. I have a day job

I'll probably be getting an oil change at the shop next week. I'll check it out then.
I seriously doubt this stuff is going to hurt the paint at all. The only issue is cosmetics and how well it will work.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:00 PM
0Surf City Garage
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette CA
Sorry to cast doubt but I think the lacquer-acrylic paint will suffocate and eventually damage if a solid sealer is applied. Hence why wax is the primary protection on offer for automotive finishes.
Not true. You're really not going to 'suffocate' anything using a sealant or coating... if that were the case you'd have base coats failing under the clear coat on OEM finishes. In the last few years the rise of ceramic coating products are further proof - these coatings offer virtually impermeable surfaces and have no negative impact on paint surfaces.

To the OP - worth a try - I'll say this - I've been using glass sealants and automotive polishes on my natural stone surfaces around the house for years with better results from what I was seeing with stuff I bought at the hardware store.

If it works one way, theres always the possibility it could work the other.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

I can't wait to see the results....I am tired of paying $75 for 20ml of product! Please let us know how it goes!
Old 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Okay, so I got lazy and didn't feel like driving 20 minutes to get a sample piece. Instead, I just went to the garage and got the street plastics off my track bike.

Red was an awful choice as you really can't see much, but it's super easy to tell on the tank guard.

Overall: It made a small difference in shine. I'd venture to guess that if the plastics were waxed, it would better on the left side. It's just that there is something on there because these are things were never ever waxed or anything. Then again, when you seal your car, you take all the wax off so it's probably fairly similar. There wasn't any clay barring or anything- just water and towel. Not even soap.

It made a HUGE difference in repelling water. In fact, it's just like when I sealed my car!

Sorry for vertical video; I only had one free hand.

I should also note that this was just wiped on with a paper towel and then wiped off with a cloth. No buffing or anything like that. It took about 30 seconds to apply, waited 5 minutes, wiped off.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:32 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

man, I thought this would get more attention
Old 10-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

I am surprised as well!

Originally Posted by village idiot
man, I thought this would get more attention
Old 10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Oh well, I tried.
I'm gonna see if I can find the time to seal the Vette in this stuff and see how long it lasts.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Please be sure to post the results or any other results you find while working with this stuff. I cannot imagine it could be that far off from the "coatings" that are being sold for more than the price of gold!

Thanks for sharing this with me!

Originally Posted by village idiot
Oh well, I tried.
I'm gonna see if I can find the time to seal the Vette in this stuff and see how long it lasts.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

We need to know the name of the product! No need for a link that will be removed just post the name or send a PM
Old 10-17-2014, 07:18 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

The full title on the website I got it from is:

Miracle Sealants 511 QT SG 511 Impregnator Penetrating Sealer

Get notified of new replies

To so this might be the craziest thing posted here in a while but...

Quick Reply: so this might be the craziest thing posted here in a while but...