Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Chrome and Painted Wheel Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Chrome and Painted Wheel Protection

I use Zaino products on the paint of the cars in my "fleet" (please this is not a post about Zaino vs other polishes/waxes ) and use it to seal the chrome and painted wheels as well.

I note that vendors sell dedicated wheel sealers (eg. G-Technig Wheel Armor-Autogeek-$35) and Adams suggests their Spray Sealant.

Can someone comment on the added value of these products for wheels as opposed to using the sealant one uses on paint.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:52 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Sealants like Zaino, Wolfgang, Blackfire, and Rejex are fine for protecting wheels. You apply and remove them as you would on your paint. Now do you want the longest possible protection ??? Would you like the easiest of application with very little removal thru buffing ??? That's when a coating would be the better choice. They last longer, can withstand the heat wheels see longer, and when applied correctly need very little to no buffing. The only wrong choice IMO, would be to use nothing and expect wheels to look as good in -5- years as they do now without protecting them.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:15 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Sealants like Zaino, Wolfgang, Blackfire, and Rejex are fine for protecting wheels. You apply and remove them as you would on your paint. Now do you want the longest possible protection ??? Would you like the easiest of application with very little removal thru buffing ??? That's when a coating would be the better choice. They last longer, can withstand the heat wheels see longer, and when applied correctly need very little to no buffing. The only wrong choice IMO, would be to use nothing and expect wheels to look as good in -5- years as they do now without protecting them.
How much longer will one of these coatings last than the Rejex I'm currently using on my wheels.

How hard is it to apply so there is no buffing as you are indicating is possible.

DH
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Depends on the coating .... Opti-gloss will last a minimum of two years with one application. G-technic Wheel Armour is one year minimum. DP and Pinnacle offer a year also and booster products. Obviously each environment, use of vehicle, and products used to clean will change durability as it would with a sealant.

Thin is in, less is more. I light easy coat with a little overlap is all that's needed with a coating. My wife actually helps buff any excess, so I can move forward quickly. Its a light wipe and the over application is pretty easily noted on most paints. No heavy buffing needed and a lot of areas wont need any buffing. Over time you get better and better with the light application and use to the feel and slickness with original application to avoid reapplying in the same area.

Get notified of new replies

To Chrome and Painted Wheel Protection

Quick Reply: Chrome and Painted Wheel Protection