Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Bleach and microfiber towels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Bleach and microfiber towels?

the towels, especially the ones that I use for the wheels, get pretty dirty. Is bleach a good thing to use on microfiber towels, or does it damage them in some way?

I don't care whether the colors get bleached out. I only care about maintaining their effectiveness and getting them as clean as possible.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Don't use bleach with them!!!

Here are some care instructions from The Rag Company's page.

Microfiber Care Instructions

*Quick Cleaning: Hand wash in warm water with a mild, clean-rinsing liquid soap; rinse well.

*Thorough Cleaning: All microfiber towels from The Rag Company are machine washable. In general, microfiber loves hot water which enables the fibers to swell and release trapped dirt and other matter. However, do not exceed 140⁰F at the risk of damaging the fibers leaving them much less effective

- Machine Wash in Warm or Hot Water with a Mild, Clean-Rinsing Liquid Detergent that is as Free of Dyes and Perfumes as Possible
- Tumble Dry Low Heat / No Heat or Hang to Dry
- Do NOT Iron
- Do NOT Use Any Fabric Softener as this Clogs the Microfibers and Reduces Performance
- Do NOT Use Chlorine Bleach as this Prematurely Breaks Down the Fibers and Reduces/Eliminates the Valuable Dust & Dirt Collecting Electrical Charge of Microfiber
- ONLY Wash with other Non-Linting Materials (NO Cotton!) to Maintain Proper Water and Dirt-Gripping Properties and Lint-Free Characteristics
- SORT Microfiber Towels Similar To Your Regular Laundry Process: DON'T Wash Brightly Colored (Red, Orange) or Black Towels with Lightly Colored (Light Blue, Yellow) or White Towels as Bleeding May Occur with Newer Towels
- ADVICE: Keep used/dirty microfiber towels in a seperate bin from your regular laundry to reduce the risk of accidentally damaging your valuable microfiber by washing them together
Old 10-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

great answer. Thanks. I can't say I'm surprised, it was just impossible to get my wife to stop using bleach unless I had some basis for telling her not to. (She's the Queen of the washing machine.) Hopefully not too much damage has already been done.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Here's an idea you might explore .... use the newest, freshest towels on your paint. As you feel they need replacement, move them to tire or trim duty. Once they have gotten soiled and appear gone, its time to toss them.

**you can use white vinegar in the rinse to make towels softer, it does break them down over time but away to avoid using Fabric Softner which is another no-no**

Get notified of new replies

To Bleach and microfiber towels?

Quick Reply: Bleach and microfiber towels?