Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C5 Targa Top - finish partly lifted

Old 10-12-2014, 02:58 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,270 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Default C5 Targa Top - finish partly lifted

Here's one... I have the time this weekend to try to get the car fully detailed and snap up a few small projects. Everything is going well until this.

I typically let my wax and polish wipe off rags rest on the windshield or roof panel. In this case, I let one sit for a few hours over dinner which I had used with a bit of Goof Off to remove a little bit of leftover BSM tape.

I had folded the rag so the small damp part was on top and dry layers underneath, but the non-viscous Goof Off that was on it must have seeped through. Now there's maybe a 2" by 2" section which looks and feels rough to the touch.

Now I doubt there is a way to fully fix it - just as a guess - but am open to discussion if someone knows an appropriate product. I'm not TOO worried about it because I intend to buy a solid body roof panel next summer or over the winter. (Or maybe now should just consider stripping the lexan, roughing it up and shooting it to match the car?) But I'd still like to get looking smooth again.

I'll work on pictures tomorrow. Staying up overnight to finish the cleaning so I can enjoy a hot rod show tomorrow.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:24 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The lexan roof on the C5/C6 Vettes has a coating applied to it with UV protection. This is not the same durable stuff used on the carbon fiber for the ZR1. You have to use a lot of care not to damage this coating. Heavy use of cleaners, and polishes could harm this level. Once damaged, it is about impossible to repair.

You can try to use some Plastic Polish from Megs on the area, but I would not go any harsher than these. The Goof Off (was it the solvent version) is quite strong and might have damaged the layer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 Targa Top - finish partly lifted