Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

C5 glass targa top question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:24 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts
Default C5 glass targa top question

Repost of a thread from the C5 General board...sorry for the double post but it was suggested that I post here for advice:

My glass top on my 2003 has the crazing on it. Actually, I was dumb enough to think that it was supposed to have a "frosted" finish on it when I got it...and quite honestly, the "hazy" look doesn't really bother me all that much.

What DOES bother me is that it looks like it has what I'm calling "water lines" on it. I'm not close where I can take pics, and that might not be the best description, but it looks like the top was wet or had soap on it and it was then driven. You know how water moves when a car is in motion....it looks like that.

I'll try to get pics later tomorrow (I'm at work ).

Problem is I thought that I could get these marks out. I can't. Tried rubbing compound and everything.

If what I am saying makes any sense am I looking at a whole wet-sand/polish job? Like I said...the haziness doesn't bug me but the marks do...

Sorry if I'm not describing this right...
Old 10-18-2014, 10:39 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

The OEM lexan tops of the C5 and C6 models have a UV coating on them. If you polish them you can damage this coating and harm the top. There are some plastic type polishes that can be used with care, but be very careful. It sounds like something acid based might have gotten on your top and etched this coating making it look like streaks.

Quick Reply: C5 glass targa top question