Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

wheel restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Default wheel restoration

I have a C5 with wheels that I learned today are polished aluminum, not chrome as I had thought. The prior owners did not take care of the wheel barrels, and they have developed blemishes that look like this:

Apparently the way to address this depends upon whether these wheels were clearcoated or not. I'm pretty sure these are OEM wheels, so can anyone tell me whether these OWM polished aluminum wheels would have come clearcoated?

Of course all other suggestions and advice are also most welcome.

Last edited by Koufax; 10-27-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:55 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
I have a C5 with wheels that I learned today are polished aluminum, not chrome as I had thought. The prior owners did not take care of the wheel barrels, and they have developed blemishes that look like this:

Apparently the way to address this depends upon whether these wheels were clearcoated or not. I'm pretty sure these are OEM wheels, so can anyone tell me whether these OWM polished aluminum wheels would have come clearcoated?

Of course all other suggestions and advice are also most welcome.
If they are OEM they came with a clear coat. But it is possible the clearcoat was removed .........

DH
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
If they are OEM they came with a clear coat. But it is possible the clearcoat was removed .........

DH
What would cause the clear coat to come off? I applied some chrome wheel cleaner thinking that the wheels were chrome. would that have removed the clear coat?
Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
What would cause the clear coat to come off? I applied some chrome wheel cleaner thinking that the wheels were chrome. would that have removed the clear coat?
I don't know but it can't be good for it.

I would try treating it like you would any othe bad paint and see what results you get.

DH
Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

OEM High Polished Wheels were indeed clearcoated and should be treated like paint. Many things can damage clearcoat including leaving brake dust on the wheels for a long period of time etching the surface.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:03 AM
69/03vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
OEM High Polished Wheels were indeed clearcoated and should be treated like paint. Many things can damage clearcoat including leaving brake dust on the wheels for a long period of time etching the surface.
Is there any magical product to fix this problem??? Other than sandpaper which obviously is not good for clear coat.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:52 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69/03vette
Is there any magical product to fix this problem??? Other than sandpaper which obviously is not good for clear coat.
Or to rephrase the question, what should I do? Should I try to strip off the clearcoat and apply a new coating? Or try to buff this stuff away using a drill attachment made for buffing wheels?
Old 10-31-2014, 06:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 69/03vette
There is no miracle product to removing etching and damaged clearcoat. You can have them professionally repaired or you can live with them. If the damage is only in the barrels, I would live with it. If you choose to strip them and polish them and something goes awry, you might need to replace them.

Going forward you should:

1. Use a safe wheel cleaner (P21S, Griots, DP)
2. Polish with a paint polish as desired (a lot of work, mixed results)
3. Seal or Coat your wheels including the barrels
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
There is no miracle product to removing etching and damaged clearcoat. You can have them professionally repaired or you can live with them. If the damage is only in the barrels, I would live with it. If you choose to strip them and polish them and something goes awry, you might need to replace them.

Going forward you should:

1. Use a safe wheel cleaner (P21S, Griots, DP)
2. Polish with a paint polish as desired (a lot of work, mixed results)
3. Seal or Coat your wheels including the barrels
Thank you for the clear answer.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel restoration

Quick Reply: wheel restoration