Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Inexpensive microfiber towels

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Default Inexpensive microfiber towels

I purchased everything that Glen e recommended, including the fabulous towels available through some forum vendors. I love the towels and like to give the vendors my business.

However, I felt that I wanted to have dozens of towels so that I could use them to clean the 4 cars that I own, some not as precious as the Vette. And the towels that Glen e recommended are pricey.

I've accumulated towels from a number of sources, and want to recommend an especially good deal. Costco has bundles of about 36 towels for some very reasonable price -- $18?? The particulars escape me but the towels are pretty good and the price is fabulous. I use them for my other cars and for the wheels on my Vette. The better towels that Glen e recommended are the only ones I use on the body of the Vette.

There are other cheap towels I bought -- from Walmart, for example -- that I would only use to clean a bird cage.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:09 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts

Costco microfiber towers are just great for the body.

Don't get caught up in internet BS.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Most towels sold in bulk are seconds and can be as simple as cut off center or didn't quite measure up to the original size. Others are found to have damaged material and other items. You take a bit of a chance buying them this way ... and likely most should be fine. These are great under the hood and areas like the interior where the risk is easily mitigated.

I suggest looking to purchase at quality vendors under discount or special sales like BOGO's in order to build a collection over time for your best MF towels. I also suggest considering the best towels for significant areas like paint care and areas where damage would be visible or noted. Consider those lower quality towels for areas like tires and under carriage also to save money.

There are many ways to save some $$ and get great value.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:36 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

Look at the MF product chart that Autogeek has. Nothing but the best touches the painted panels of my car. The cheapies are OK for undercarriage, wheels or other general cleaning. Always trust the Geek to steer you in the right direction.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:25 AM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa

I agree 100%. The Costco towels are as good as any on the market reguardless of cost.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa

Originally Posted by vetten76
I agree 100%. The Costco towels are as good as any on the market reguardless of cost.
Uh no.... they are horrible after a few washes. I own a high end detail shop in Silicon Valley and am an expert on MF towels. I have had several Korean weavers talk to me and come to see me to get my opinion. I am working with one on a specific towel that could be very, very cool and could be the next wave in towels, and simply blew me away when they showed it to me.

The only Internet BS is the one that says these towels are OK to use after the first wash. Without question these are the worst towels I have ever come across. But hey if they work for you,,,,, great.

Heard it many times from customers that come into my shop, that they don't scratch, until I point out how pathetic their paint looks due to all the fine scratches, but then I have had customers tell me their black car taken to the car wash every week has no swirls.

Sorry to be so brutal, but I stand by my comments. When you detail cars like below you have to have the best, and those towels are simply horrific. Do we use them, you bet, for wheels, engine and suspension, but never for paint.

Or this

When you do cars like this on a daily basis you better know what you are doing. Spend the money and get good quality towels from a Forum sponsor. I can't name my source as they are not a Forum sponsor, but you cannot go wrong with the towels from the Forum sponsors.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Seeing that you are the expert, and the manufacturers come to you for advice, what makes the best towel the best? Specifically, what fibors don't scratch? How can you stop a towel from scratching when it picks up material from use? A $30 towel vrs a $2 towel. Is it not true that a Korean manufacturer will make the same towel with various lables leaving the marketing up to the various vendors to make their own claims and set their own prices for the same product?

My Cyber Gray paint must be pathetic too. Do you actually say that to people? I use waterless car wash due to our water restrictions here in San Diego. I bet I'm wrong there. I bet you charge $1200 for a detail and I bet people pay that. I have 5 cars that I maintain using Costco towels. I have various wins at peoples choice car shows with my 3 more expencive cars. I guess most folks just don't care about micro scratches on street driven cars. Could I pay more for MF towels? Sure. Ever wonder how wealthy people become wealthy? It's all about value....
Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by vetten76
Seeing that you are the expert, and the manufacturers come to you for advice, what makes the best towel the best? Specifically, what fibors don't scratch? How can you stop a towel from scratching when it picks up material from use? A $30 towel vrs a $2 towel. Is it not true that a Korean manufacturer will make the same towel with various lables leaving the marketing up to the various vendors to make their own claims and set their own prices for the same product?

My Cyber Gray paint must be pathetic too. Do you actually say that to people? I use waterless car wash due to our water restrictions here in San Diego. I bet I'm wrong there. I bet you charge $1200 for a detail and I bet people pay that. I have 5 cars that I maintain using Costco towels. I have various wins at peoples choice car shows with my 3 more expencive cars. I guess most folks just don't care about micro scratches on street driven cars. Could I pay more for MF towels? Sure. Ever wonder how wealthy people become wealthy? It's all about value....
It is a relative thing, if these towels work for you great
I will be in San Diego. Dec 9- 12th if you want to GTG.. PM me

In my travels and experience, I have found many people have different interpretations of what constitutes a good finish. We have our standard.

We do not charge $1200+ for a detail, all of the cars in the pictures were under $500. It is all about having the expertise in compounds, buffer techniques and most important towels used to wipe the car down.
Here is a lesson for many - If the towels are trash, you can buff your brains out, get a pristine finish and the trashy towels just reintroduce the swirl marks.

Along with the detail we teach customers how to maintain their finish, so it remains looking as good 6 months later as when it left our shop.

MF Towels - Even within a single manufacturer towels have to be tested. We spot check 5-10 towels out of 50 from the people we order from. If we find a problem we reject the entire shipment.

Waterless Car Washes - We have tested an untold number of waterless car washes and most failed miserably. We found one, and since it is not a forum sponsor I cannot name them, but it is the best I have come across, including some high end names. We now use it exclusively with many, many customer comments on how great their car looks after a simple wash.

Get notified of new replies

To Inexpensive microfiber towels

Quick Reply: Inexpensive microfiber towels