Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber Towel that gives that slick feel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Microfiber Towel that gives that slick feel?

I have tried numerous brands of premium microfiber final buffing towels and none give that great slickness feel you get with a cotton towel. Is there a brand of towel that has that feel or is that not possible with microfiber material?

BIGMAC
Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Try the Adam's double soft microfiber towel. It is the softest I have ever used and will leave your car feeling smooth and slick. They require far less effort for quick detailing than any I have used. They are white in color and very plush. They are my new favorite
Old 12-08-2014, 05:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

slickness ???

Cotton is soft but not really slick ... if you tossed one on a clean surface it would not necessarily slide further than a MF towel.

Now there are certainly many different MF towels. You can find some very thick and very soft ones that feel like body towels and spa towels. Tell us more so we can help!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
slickness ???

Cotton is soft but not really slick ... if you tossed one on a clean surface it would not necessarily slide further than a MF towel.

Now there are certainly many different MF towels. You can find some very thick and very soft ones that feel like body towels and spa towels. Tell us more so we can help!
Thanks for the offer. I must have the wrong ultra-premium microfiber final buff towels. Even though they feel soft, when I end with detail spray there is a "drag" across the paint surface compared to cotton, i.e. an old 100% cotton t-shirt. I am open to suggestions.

BIGMAC
Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,550 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BIGMAC
Thanks for the offer. I must have the wrong ultra-premium microfiber final buff towels. Even though they feel soft, when I end with detail spray there is a "drag" across the paint surface compared to cotton, i.e. an old 100% cotton t-shirt. I am open to suggestions.

BIGMAC
Mac, try the microfibers I suggested. They glide over the surface much better than other microfibers and require fewer swipes to get the job done. If you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:22 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by capevettes
Mac, try the microfibers I suggested. They glide over the surface much better than other microfibers and require fewer swipes to get the job done. If you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.
Thanks. I must be crazy since I have the premium Adams towels and did not find them to "glide" like cotton. Maybe the 40 coats of Zaino on my C5 are the problem .

BIGMAC
Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

One of the issues with MF towels is often static which could make them feel like they cling. I have found that when I dry my towels (always separate from all other laundry and towels) I use those dryer *****.

MF towels also often have two sides. It is best to experiment with both sides of the towel to see which side works best with your product. Some spray waxes and detail sprays need light buffing and others need more. This might create some of the feeling as it grabs the product. If you flip the towel and rewipe, it should be slippery and show the product has adhered to the surface.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:01 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
One of the issues with MF towels is often static which could make them feel like they cling. I have found that when I dry my towels (always separate from all other laundry and towels) I use those dryer *****.

MF towels also often have two sides. It is best to experiment with both sides of the towel to see which side works best with your product. Some spray waxes and detail sprays need light buffing and others need more. This might create some of the feeling as it grabs the product. If you flip the towel and rewipe, it should be slippery and show the product has adhered to the surface.

OK, I am sold. I am ready to place an order with Autogeek but after studying the chart on your website I still don't know which MF towel to buy. I would appreciate your recommendation.

BIGMAC
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

My personal favorites right now are the rolled edges and the Sonus De Wonder Towel (shown above). Now white towels will get discolored, so don't grab them if you are looking to keep towels pretty.

I suggest watching our BOGO area and buying your collection as towels go on sale. I also suggest using forum sales or discounts and deals like the current Gift Certificate sale. Other towels to consider the Grey Supremes or Purple Jrs. I also like the all purpose black towels which are much nicer than they sound.

Just remember to keep all MF towels separate. Wash separate, store separate. You can clean them with a MF specific soap or Tide Free. If you feel they lose their softness, then use a little white vinegar in the rinse. With care you will find a lot of value and outcome from the towels. I do suggest those dryer ***** in the dryer, under light tumble for drying.

http://www.autogeek.net/mictow.html
Old 12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

''MF towels also often have two sides'' . . . i can't recall ever seeing a ''one sided '' towel .
Old 12-19-2014, 11:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigcypress
''MF towels also often have two sides'' . . . i can't recall ever seeing a ''one sided '' towel .
yes .. those single sided towels are quite elusive.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:34 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by capevettes
Try the Adam's double soft microfiber towel. It is the softest I have ever used and will leave your car feeling smooth and slick. They require far less effort for quick detailing than any I have used. They are white in color and very plush. They are my new favorite

As a long time user of old cotton t-shirts, I'm glad I finally ditched them. I love my Adam's MF towels. I could not believe how plush they were. They helped take my detailing results up a notch!
Old 12-29-2014, 02:43 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

An interesting question. I have yet to see any microfiber towel create a slick surface, and I have dealt with literally hundreds of towels. Surface slickness is all about paint prep and the finish, not the towel. IMO if you are looking for a towel to create slickness, you are too late in the overall process. The towel should be removing the polish/wax/compund on an already slick surface. If you are looking for it to remove surface contaminants your paint prep is wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber Towel that gives that slick feel?

Quick Reply: Microfiber Towel that gives that slick feel?