Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Suggestions Please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 10:32 PM
boomnzoom
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions Please.

I am not looking to start a what's best thread. But I have had my 1997 for three weeks now and it's time for me to give it a good detailing. What products do you guys use for Wheels, tires, interior, glass... and where do you get them. Car is White with the black interior and only has 35k on it.

Thanks in advance

Doug
Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

First ... you only shop at forum supporting vendors. Those like www.autogeek.net that offer a price guarantee and full time forum discount on most items. (smiles) Plus we are the only vendor that's been in place for over 10 years !!

Wheels --- DP Wheel Cleaner, Griots Wheel Cleaner, or P21S w/ Daytona Wheel Brush
Wash -- Poorboys, Griots, Duragloss, or Einszett
Interior --- 303, Ultima, Wolfgang, Blackfire
Glass --- Invisible Glass or Sprayway Glass
Tires --- 303, Perls, Opti-bond
Spray Waxes -- Finishkare 425, Optimums Spray Wax, or Primas Hydro Max

come visit our forum for hints to keep your Vette looking good at www.autogeekonline.net
Old 12-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I use Blackfire products for exterior ( wash, swirl remover , waxes ) from Autogeek. Adams interior detail for interior. Surf City Voodoo Blend for the leather seats. I am very happy with the results I get at a reasonable cost. Here are a few pictures of my results . Enjoy the corvette!!!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Borntorun04/17; 12-08-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've never washed my car in the 13+ years that I've owned it. I don't drive in the rain and only put on about 1,000 miles a year, so it never really gets dirty. I clean my car every time I drive it. I use a California Duster and C-Magic detail spray. I also use C-Magic wax and tire dressing. I've had great success with Menzerna products when it comes to removing light swirl marks. The only thing I use on my chrome wheels is a microfiber towel dampened with water. I pull my wheels off 2-3 times during the summer to wipe the barrels off, again only using a damp microfiber. When I'm done, I use DP Wheel Glaze on them. If you haven't guessed by now, my car is pretty much a garage queen.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 12-09-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:12 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
I've never washed my car in the 13+ years that I've owned it. I don't drive in the rain and only put on about 1,000 miles a year, so it never really gets dirty. I clean my car every time I drive it. I use a California Duster and C-Magic detail spray. I also use C-Magic wax and tire dressing. I've had great success with Menzerna products when it comes to removing light swirl marks. The only thing I use on my chrome wheels is a microfiber towel dampened with water. I pull my wheels off 2-3 times during the summer to wipe the barrels off, again only using a damp microfiber. When I'm done, I use DP Wheel Glaze on them. If you haven't guessed by now, my car is pretty much a garage queen.

Not to challenge what appears to work well for you, but have you considered moving from a Detail Spray to a rinseless or waterless wash product ?? You might find the ingredients more in tune with cleaning without marring and just as much gloss as an outcome. I highly suggest Ultima and Optimum No-Rinse as options and would love to hear your thoughts and outcome.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:04 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Not to challenge what appears to work well for you, but have you considered moving from a Detail Spray to a rinseless or waterless wash product ?? You might find the ingredients more in tune with cleaning without marring and just as much gloss as an outcome. I highly suggest Ultima and Optimum No-Rinse as options and would love to hear your thoughts and outcome.
I also have a spray bottle with water that I use occasionally with microfibers towels to wipe down my car. As I said, my car really doesn't get dirty. The paint on my car, which will be 17-years old in March, is in excellent condition. I'm a perfectionist and even the slightest swirl marks drive me crazy. My car is in storage right now, but I'll give the waterless wash a try in the spring. I appreciate the info.

Last edited by DevilDog II; 12-09-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 AM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by DevilDog II

No doubt the above is correct, however, I am the opposite. Wash every one or two weeks, full detail twice a year and routine shining as needed ( i e, routinely glaze and wax/polish various areas). Lynda says I rub the Vette more than her. But then there are two items where we greatly differ... One..... Daily Driver, and two... 152,000 miles on C6 !!!

Keep the shiney side up
Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Like DevilDog, I haven't washed my 'Vette since I bought it eight years ago. I don't allow it to get dirty. I wipe it down before and after every drive.

As far as using a "waterless" car wash product, it's not for me. And the Adam's detail spray actually enhances the look of your wax or glaze.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:24 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

At first I was going to suggest getting a gallon of Meguires Gold class soap at costco for $12 as this is the best cheap soap you can find in stock at retail establishments, but then i saw where you live! You can still get this soap in walmart and parts stores, just not quite at that price. I use the same soap for wheels and the paint assuming the wheels aren't totally jacked up. just be sure to use different buckets for the wheels and the paint!

So for mail order you have a ton of confusing choices, but the concentrated soaps from Chemical Guys are a good value as a little goes a long ways. For polishes I am mostly using Meguires products there as well. The wax (or last step product) almost doesn't matter just so long as you use one for protection from the environment. For a white car I would also suggest Rejex sealant as it is durable even on cars parked outdoors. A bottle of that is about $14-$20 depending on size and is good on more than just the body panels as it can be for glass, chrome, and wheels sealant.

Definitely look into machine polishing with a dual action polisher and foam pads- you aren't fixing scratches and swirls without one. All the tutorials on you tube make it super easy to learn.

Last edited by mike100; 01-04-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions Please.

Quick Reply: Suggestions Please.