Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:25 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe

Thinking of having a good portion of my car wrapped for paint protection. I've no experience with any of the available products. Two names I've had suggested are Digishield and Xpel. I'm sure there are many others?

A local shop with a good reputation quoted me $1,850 to wrap with Xpel. He'll do the entire front of the car (i.e., doors forward), lower part of the doors and rockers, mirrors and some of the rear quarters. Front edge of the spoiler as well. Seems pricey?

I'd appreciate some advice.

Rick
Old 12-14-2014, 03:33 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Wow! That's a lot!
Old 12-15-2014, 07:29 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I can't speak on your price but I did have Xpel applied to the front bumper, the mirrors and in front of the rear tires when I first got my '13. The Xpel is barely noticeable and happy to report no road measles.
Xpel will be applied to any new vehicles I get in the future.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:00 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

That price does not surprise me for Xpel and the work you were quoted. Full hood, fenders, full front bumper/facia, rockers and behind the rear wheels would typically run around that.

I did that and then went back for more.

I added coverage in front of the rear tire and am glad it was recommended by a friend. The area around the rear brake cooling duct gets chips. Look at another car with miles on it. You don't have to go as high as the gas filler door but get protection from above where you cover the rocker, around the cooling duct and stop it somewhere just before or at the 11-12:00 position over the rear tire.

There is a difference in film. Some films can get "stretch marks" easier than others when the installer pulls and plays with it too much. I would look at what the installer has done and look critically. Between the film choice and installer, there are differences.

One last point. The pre-cut kits are nice for the installer but there is a better way for sure on the hood.

If the installer buys bulk film they can "wrap" the hood. They cut a piece and trim it so there is a little overlap and wrap it around the edge so there is no edge that you see or get wax in.

A good installer can wrap many areas but the labor price goes up. At least doing the hood as a big visible area is a nice touch.

Get notified of new replies

To Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe

Quick Reply: Wrapping Car with Protective Paint Film (PPF) Advice Needed - Digishield, Xpe