Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Battery maintainer malfunction info

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Default Battery maintainer malfunction info

Had one of the diehard battery maintainers I have go bad. At first I thought I had a bad battery as the lights on the maintainer would go back and forth between amber and green continually after getting full charge. Put on another car and had same problem. Put another tender on first battery and no problem. Thus it appears to be the tender that went bad. Just something to keep in mind if you get the same symptoms. No complaint on product as it has lasted quite a few years.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:07 AM
12zo
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I am messing around with a few chargers now. One thing I think is happening is it is a small trailer break-away battery. The connections on it are small blade type +/- connections.

I am having trouble getting a few chargers I have to get a good firm connection with the way they make the charger alligator clips.

Batteries act funny with loose connections.

I'm not sure if my battery is the issue or the connection is really it.

Two chargers I've tried get to the flashing green light stage but don't seem to want to go steady green. I think I have the best connection I can get without modifying the alligator clips and I'm hoping soon one visit to the basement I'll see steady green.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:24 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 12zo
I am messing around with a few chargers now. One thing I think is happening is it is a small trailer break-away battery. The connections on it are small blade type +/- connections.

I am having trouble getting a few chargers I have to get a good firm connection with the way they make the charger alligator clips.

Batteries act funny with loose connections.

I'm not sure if my battery is the issue or the connection is really it.

Two chargers I've tried get to the flashing green light stage but don't seem to want to go steady green. I think I have the best connection I can get without modifying the alligator clips and I'm hoping soon one visit to the basement I'll see steady green.
I have had no problem getting the alligator clips to work either on the Battery Tender or other. Use on the C3, C5 and C6(sold). Seem to clip on easily and although not much tension seem to work fine.

Also remember the battery cable clamps have a specific torque value and have heard of people having trouble if not torqued to spec.

Last edited by plasboy; 01-11-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: another thought

Get notified of new replies

To Battery maintainer malfunction info

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer malfunction info