Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best Way to Remove Tree Sap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:58 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Best Way to Remove Tree Sap

I had just finished a very extensive annual detail a few weeks ago in preparation for our Florida winter driving and show season.

The finish of my C5 vert was perfect and slick after a full Dawn wash, clay, polish, sealant and wax.

After returning from a 120 round trip show event, I noticed the surface of the exposed paint was very rough and I realized it must have been the tree sap blowing this time of year. I gave the car another wash, but it's still there and very evident in comparison to the tonneau cover which was not exposed on the ride to/from the show and still maintains the fresh detail slickness.

My question is what is the best way to remove the sap? If I re-clay the car, will I then need to apply some more wax or will I need to also re-apply the paint sealant before the wax? I really don't want to perform another full detail yet.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Claying can be slightly abrasive and might remove some/all of a wax or sealant. It would indeed be best to reapply after claying for best and longest protection. If you choose to use a chemical based product (paint cleaner, tar remover) you would also want to reapply the wax/sealant of your choice.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:29 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Lacquer thinner or Goof Off. Been using it at my detailing shop for years with absolutely zero paint damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Way to Remove Tree Sap

Quick Reply: Best Way to Remove Tree Sap