Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

New To Polishing Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Default New To Polishing Set Up

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a DA and some products. I am leaning toward the Griots DA over the PC. Orange and white pads (any others needed?)

For products I was thinking Menzerna PF2500 and SF4000 or Meg's 105 and 205.

I'll be topping everything off with Zaino or Rejex.

What does everyone think of this set up and which products do you feel will work best for a newbie? Any pointers or any products you feel should be considered? I'm trying to stay in the $200-$250 range to get my initial set up going.

Vehicles I will be working on will be our Vette, Honda Pilot and Honda Civic if that matters.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

You have some great choices ... just remember that unless you are buying a kit, you might want to get a smaller 5 inch flexible backing plate for the Griots. You can then consider the 5.5 Lake Country Hydro Tech pads which come in three different abrasive qualities making them very easy to use and to buy also.

If your budget gets a bit type, you can find Wolfgang polishes in smaller sizes and they are equally as good as Menzerna polishes. As with any sealant (Rejex, Zaino, Wolfgang, Blackfire, Four Star) you will find best results by wiping down the finish after polishing to make sure the best and longest protection.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the tips. I do have the backing plates already that someone had given me. They are new and from 3M. I have a 3", 5" and 6".
Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51
Thanks for the tips. I do have the backing plates already that someone had given me. They are new and from 3M. I have a 3", 5" and 6".
nice gifts ... just remember to go one size bigger than the backing plate. This is so that the backing plate never touches the paint.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 AM
KBsToy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Griots and it works great for me. I like the 5.5 pads they same to work easier for me. Watch out though so you don`t get the detailing bug

Autogeek has some good how to video's on the Forum / site

Get notified of new replies

To New To Polishing Set Up

Quick Reply: New To Polishing Set Up