Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Corrected 175k Miles of Auto Washes on a Black Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts
Default Corrected 175k Miles of Auto Washes on a Black Tahoe

Kyle, a friend from my truck forum I visit, recently picked up a black 2007 Tahoe. He picked this one mostly because the interior was near mint. The exterior was a different story as it was not only black, but appeared to have been ran through auto washes on a regular basis. I feel like the previous owner took very good care of the truck, they just didn't know any better when it came to the outside.

Condition upon arrival.

Exterior:

Interior:

Interior wise, I steamed the seats and cleaned the steering wheel. Not much else was really needed.

Interior after being steamed:

Kyle had planned to debadge the truck, so it made sense to do it before the paint correction. I removed the "TAHOE" lettering along with the "LTZ" and "Flexfuel" badges.

Paint underneath the badges is what the truck looked like when new:

This truck went through dealership "prep" from what I could tell. As you guessed, they did pretty much nothing except grease up the seats and engine bay

After washing and claying the truck, it was time to bring it into the garage for the better part of a day.

Condition of the paint under my lights, yikes!

50/50 after compounding with my Rupes 21:

Passenger fender condition:

After a few passes:

I was able to achieve pretty good correction, even on some of the more extreme defects:

Complete!

In all, I spent around 15-16 hours on this truck. While it took a lot of work, a two step correction was necessary due to the condition of the paint upon arrival. My Rupes 21 really shined on the huge flat panels and it would have been a much longer day without it. While the truck was huge and seemingly never ending, I have to say it was fun to watch the paint coming back to life as I worked the panels. Overall, I enjoyed it as this was one of the tougher paint corrections that I've done and challenged me quite a bit.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Great job, as usual. Thanks for posting how much time it took to get the paint corrected. I don't detail anymore, but it was funny to hear people wanting there cars corrected in a couple hours. They couldn't understand why I needed it for 2-3 days.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
RottenII
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! What a difference!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:50 AM
JimmyS5600
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice work! What compound did you use?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 PM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great job, that is a big vehicle and some bad paint!

Get notified of new replies

To Corrected 175k Miles of Auto Washes on a Black Tahoe

Quick Reply: Corrected 175k Miles of Auto Washes on a Black Tahoe