Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Kudos for Meguiar's Ultimate Compound

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 01:56 AM
SunsetRay
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kudos for Meguiar's Ultimate Compound

So I have had my 2015 DSOM Z51 Stingray for about three weeks and I broke one of my cardinal rules of not parking anywhere near a tree last week. It was dark when I drove home from a round of golf so I did not notice that a lovely bird (probably a grackle) had laid down about 8 quarter sized splatters of black poo on the hood. I didn't discover the disaster for some reason when parking in the garage that evening but saw the mess the next morning when getting ready to leave for work (going out of town for three days). Pissed, I grabbed a microfiber cloth and some detailing spray to remove the poo, unfortunately the damage had been done. I have never seen bird poop so aggressively etch the surface of a car as this had.

While away for the next three days I researched what would be the best way to correct the damage done to my Stingray. Everything was pointing to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Even so I wanted to start with the least aggressive methods first. I tried a solution of vinegar and water, absolutely no correction, next was clay bar, no help either, Cleaner Wax did nothing, Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 was next, same results, nothing. If the Ultimate Compound didn't work I was going to be off to the detailing shop.

After about an hours worth of elbow grease and the Ultimate Compound I was able to remove almost all traces of the poop etchings. Most spots took 2-3 applications to totally work out and 3 of the most serious etchings took 4-5. At just the right light angle I can still see a slight trace of two spots but I know where they are at. I had two buddies look for them and they couldn't find them so I'm happy with the results. Afterwards I applied a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax to the entire hood and it all looks as good as new, maybe even a little better. Definitely will never park near a tree again.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetRay
So I have had my 2015 DSOM Z51 Stingray for about three weeks and I broke one of my cardinal rules of not parking anywhere near a tree last week. It was dark when I drove home from a round of golf so I did not notice that a lovely bird (probably a grackle) had laid down about 8 quarter sized splatters of black poo on the hood. I didn't discover the disaster for some reason when parking in the garage that evening but saw the mess the next morning when getting ready to leave for work (going out of town for three days). Pissed, I grabbed a microfiber cloth and some detailing spray to remove the poo, unfortunately the damage had been done. I have never seen bird poop so aggressively etch the surface of a car as this had.

While away for the next three days I researched what would be the best way to correct the damage done to my Stingray. Everything was pointing to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Even so I wanted to start with the least aggressive methods first. I tried a solution of vinegar and water, absolutely no correction, next was clay bar, no help either, Cleaner Wax did nothing, Meguiar's Scratch X2.0 was next, same results, nothing. If the Ultimate Compound didn't work I was going to be off to the detailing shop.

After about an hours worth of elbow grease and the Ultimate Compound I was able to remove almost all traces of the poop etchings. Most spots took 2-3 applications to totally work out and 3 of the most serious etchings took 4-5. At just the right light angle I can still see a slight trace of two spots but I know where they are at. I had two buddies look for them and they couldn't find them so I'm happy with the results. Afterwards I applied a coat of Ultimate Liquid Wax to the entire hood and it all looks as good as new, maybe even a little better. Definitely will never park near a tree again.
Time to consider buying a orbital buffer You would of had the hood looking better than new in 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Kudos for Meguiar's Ultimate Compound