Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

After Polishing Glass, Rain doesn't bead up with RainX

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default After Polishing Glass, Rain doesn't bead up with RainX

I just used Griot's Glass Polish with my orbital buffer and a glass polishing disc. Took a few minutes using the crisscross method then wiped clean. I didn't have bad water spots as much as the area of the window that the wipers wore into leaving a rough top to bottom area to the left of my view.

I used RainX afterwards, but the RainX didn't do anything. I'm wondering if I may need to reapply or use a wax first?

Or maybe I just wiped it off of the newly polished glass surface without letting it dry on?

What am I missing?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Water is not supposed to bead after Rain X.

It is supposed to disperse ( run off )
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Right now the rain hits and is absorbed into the glass, just like it did right after polishing the glass. After wiping my windshield with RainX and wiping the excess off it had no effect. It's like I never wiped the glass with the RainX.

Beading up (into a ball) is what water does when it hits the surface when coated with RainX. If I'm sitting still it will collect for a bit until the drops get heavy enough to overcome friction to roll downhill. If I'm driving at 25 mph the rain drops don't move much. At 70 mph the rain can't form into a larger drop and disperses rearward rapidly This is when I turn my wipers off, actually anything above about 35 mph and the wipers are not needed when the RainX is working it's magic.

So I'm wondering if my glass needs something before the RainX is applied.

Prior to the polishing, the RainX did what I expected it to do. So something has changed. The glass looks very good. I can't see any scratches or buildup anywhere except the very edge where I stayed away from with the orbital. That area can be clearly seen in the right lighting.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

You should be looking for water to disperse, also called sheeting.

No beads = no water spots.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Move to Aquapel or a Glass Coating .....
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

I re-applied RainX on a dry day and put a second coat on and left it to dry for a while. Then washed the car 30 minutes later and the water was beading up as I expected.

It must have been the moisture in the air and low temperatures that prevented a good bond the first time around.

Get notified of new replies

To After Polishing Glass, Rain doesn't bead up with RainX

Quick Reply: After Polishing Glass, Rain doesn't bead up with RainX